How many chickens? What kind?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Pumpkinismygirl, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Pumpkinismygirl

Pumpkinismygirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    Hey everybody! Just trying to see what kind of chicken is most popular out there. Also trying to see how many everybody has. Justa wondering how many other "Chicken Crazy Folks" are out there! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. kitten6566

kitten6566 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    pennsylvania
    My Coop
    you can see what is the most popular chicken in the breeds section.

3. beehappy4ever

beehappy4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have 2 roosters, 4 laying hens, 6 pullets that are about 3 months old, 5 chicks that are 1.5 weeks old, 9 eggs developing in the bator due to hatch on the 24th and expecting 24 more eggs this coming week to go into the bator...I currently have a lavender orpington rooster, an americana rooster, an americana laying hen, two black australorp laying hens, a laying hen that I don't know what she is but is partridge color, my pullets are 3 americana's, 1 barred rock, 1 RIR, and 1 Polish Crested that is 4 months old. My 1.5 week old chicks are 2 purebred americana's, one americana X partridge hen, and two americana X australorp that look like little penguins. The eggs in the brooder now are mixes as I was seeing if my orpington was fertilizing eggs so they could be pure americana's or mixes. I also had bought 15 hatching eggs of a craigslist that are RIR X Black Cochin (advertised as RIR as that is what the hens are, after heading to pick them up (60 miles away from me) I was told that the rooster covering the hens was a black cochin [​IMG]) Out of 15 eggs only 3 are developing so guess that cochin wasn't covering those hens to well.

My favorite breed for eggs so far is Americana's, they are not the friendliest birds I find but I love their green huge eggs! I love the looks of SLW but don't currently have any. The eggs coming are Marans, Lavender Orpingtons and SLW's so I am super excited to see those hatch [​IMG]

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I have 11 in the coop and 9 in the brooder. My 11 is a mixed flock. The 9 in the brooder are pure bred Ameraucana's from a breeder. I hatched 8 girls and 1 boy! Unbelievable! I'm not keeping them all, just the ones I can show. There are 3 chicks with immediate faults(splash color) and 1 has split wing. There's a boy I'm not keeping either, but he looks show quality right now.

Pure Ameraucana's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Out for play/lap time with momma(me);)
    [​IMG]

Here are a couple of my hatchery hens
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]