1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

how many chickens will fit

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by love2chicken, Feb 16, 2011.

1. love2chicken

love2chicken In the Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    graham,washington
    just want to know how many chickens i can put in a 4x8 coop and it has a 8x8 outside run that is covered. I just don't want to get to many and have they fight and peck each other. so total size is 8 wide and 12 long 5 1/2 tall thanks all

2. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Songster

Jun 23, 2010
    Probably about ten I'd say.

3. The Lisser

The Lisser Songster

The standard ratio for large fowl chickens is one per 4 square feet of coop, and 10 square feet of run. So you could have 6-8 chickens comfortably. If you have smaller chickens, you could have a few more.

4. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    I have 8 girls in my tractor that is 4x8. The run is about the same size as yours. They seem happy and have enough room to spread out. On the few days I have had to lock them in, there have been no problems as there is enough space for the lowest hen to get away from the dominate ones. I freerange my girls (supervised) when I am home so they get a little more exersize and goodies. Cant wait for all this snow to melt so they can freerange again!!!

5. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Songster

Dec 27, 2009
    I agree that 8 would be the max in a coop/run that size. I have the same set up but my girls freerange all day long. They only come into the run during the day to "nap" on the saw horses I have set up in there and the coop to lay eggs. When I have to lock them for any reason they do fine, although they don't really like being locked in! It will probably help if you have things for them to do to keep them somewhat active and entertained, like a dirt bath.
    CJ

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Crowing Premium Member

Remember that a long enough roosting board is also required. I find 10" per bird is about right. 8' roost means 10 full sized birds. They like being close in the cold, but want more space if it is hot. Understandable.

7. chickenaddictntn

chickenaddictntn Chirping

Feb 1, 2011
    8 or 9 at most

8. Judy

Judy Crowing Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The run is a little small for 8; I wouldn't get more than 6, unless they will be let out of the run daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: