How many chickens will my coop hold?

MrsSteele

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
I am currently building my coop and pen. The whole structure measures 6 foot wide by just under 12 foot long. The coop will be 6 foot by 4 foot, and be elevated so they can go under the coop as well. I also plan to let them out to roam the yard. How many chickens should i be able to keep? I plan to put 4 nesting boxes in the coop. I currently have 14 total, but i plan to eat a few ( who ever crow
hmm.png
lol) This is new for me! How many COULD i keep if they are all hens? I only really want 8 total.

barnie.gif

Thanks!!!
yippiechickie.gif

And those numbers are the bare min I belive. I would go bigger if you can. Letting them range is nice to, just be carefull of predators.

I plan to add a laying box on the outside, 2x6. Does that make the coop size 6x6? If so i can keep 9 then? This is confusing.. Again i only want 8

I plan to add a laying box on the outside, 2x6. Does that make the coop size 6x6? If so i can keep 9 then? This is confusing.. Again i only want 8
I would not count that as floor space. 8 birds in 24 sq ft of coop is tight. That's 3 sq per bird and a ton of poop. How about roost bar? You need one foot per bird. I think it will work fine but I don't see it going more then 1 day without cleaning. But hey, what do I know, I'm a newbie too.

Back
Top Bottom