How many chickens.............

may I ask, what is a hootenanny. sound like something I need to try :)
Haha! It's a recipe from my great grandmother for a pancake type dessert. You put syrup on top. It looks wild when you cook it, the shapes are fun. I'll post the recipe in a little bit.

I agree with 50. You will probably get about 30 a day when the chickens are in their prime. Also, would U want to get them as chicks? Cuz always keep in mind that means they won't be laying till about April. (Although this totally depends on the breed, some will lay earlier or later than this.) Or you could get them as pullets. Totally up 2 U.

I agree with 50. You will probably get about 30 a day when the chickens are in their prime. Also, would U want to get them as chicks? Cuz always keep in mind that means they won't be laying till about April. (Although this totally depends on the breed, some will lay earlier or later than this.) Or you could get them as pullets. Totally up 2 U.
:welcome :frow I agree as I have stated in previous posts. It appears the OP doesn't currently have any birds and not sure of what they want, so maybe a few birds to get started. If they have never had a flock maybe it's better to take it slow and easy to see if it's something they want to do.

There are going to be times when you may get a dozen eggs with 18 birds and other times you may not. Currently I'm getting around 1 dozen a day more or less from around 100 birds but most of them are molting and when they molt they stop or slow way down laying. I have another around 150 pullets who should be starting to lay any day. One is but so far the others haven't. Again, my Leghorns and Rhode Island Whites are my most consistent Layers, but even those aren't laying to full capacity right now.

Do you currently have any birds? Just curious.
yes, I have two 7 weeks old RIR pullets.

Last edited:
Do you know how many eggs your household currently uses per day or per week?

If you do not already have experience with chickens, it is usually best to start fairly small, rather than jumping into a big project right at first. I would think somewhere between 6 and 25 birds is a good starting point.

It's easier to add more the next year, after you know better how to do it.

If those are the kinds of chickens you intend to get, given the various egg numbers you have mentioned, I suggest you order 8 pullets of each of those 3 kinds. That makes 24 chicks, which is a number that ships nicely in one box (they may stick in a few extras, so you're likely to receive 26 or 27 chicks.) It also makes a fairly nice size of flock. Assuming most of them grow up safely, they will probably give you between 12 and 24 eggs per day, depending on the season.

Since you mention McMurray-- during checkout they will ask if you want a free mystery chick. Those chicks are almost always males. So don't get that chick unless you have a plan for him (either keeping him as a rooster or butchering him.)
there are 5 people in the house and we go threw 2 dozens a week but I will get 30 chickens and then every two years I'll sell them and buy new chicks

yes, I have two 7 weeks old RIR pullets. the question about how many chickens is for when I buy a property to do that, but right now I live in a neighborhood with my parents .
You have a lot of time to research and plan. Good luck and have fun...

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom