How many chickens.............

You should get some chicks in the spring and in the fall so that you can get eggs year-round. Spring chicks don't lay in the winter. Also if you want winter eggs you will have to check every hour or buy a heated nesting box or else they will become frozen and burst. You said that you are ordering 60 chicks right? Be careful with predators and keep the coop or coops clean because disease can spread like wildfire. I recommend getting a goose to scare off small predators. Some people also use llamas which can scare off birds of prey and small predators, for big predators they can alert you of it. But if you get a llama they also come with their own personal needs, health, and housing.
That’s so neat. I need a goose! Does a duck help. I have two ducks and a drake

Hi, i have a question how many chickens would i need to get 25-50 eggs a day? i want to know so that i can get that many chicks lol

50. As hens lay no more than one egg a day, if you want between 25-50 you would at least on occasion get a full 50 eggs. But, since even the most reliable layers dont always lay every day, if you want 50 eggs consistently you would have to get 65 or so hens (depending on breed, you can estimate about 2/3 number of eggs per day as you have layers). Keep in mind that laying will slow down as days get shorter and when they molt. Some people put artificial light in the coop to force hems to keep laying through the winter, but that should be considered a cruel and unhealthy practice -- their cycles are what they are for good reason, and their systems need time to replenish. Forcing winter laying stresses them during already difficult months, and they are more likely to get sick -- they also won't lay for as many years (like us they are born with only so many eggs, so if you force continuous laying, those months will be taken off the back end, as it were). Most hens will lay consistently for at least two years, so you'll need to start replenishing the flock in the third year to keep egg production going.

Hi, i have a question how many chickens would i need to get 25-50 eggs a day? i want to know so that i can get that many chicks lol
The way to rotate hens so you get eggs year round is to start raising replacements every spring - March works for me. Then when the year old hens moult, the new hens start to lay. The old ones are processed for food when the young hens are laying well. Doing it that way you have eggs year round and no slackers

I was planning on keeping some for me and to sell and i live in florida
Eggs now selling at the store for $1 and sometimes less per dozen, not going to make money selling eggs. I sell for $4 dozen to few regular customers that particularly want free range eggs from happy hens. Only make enough to help buy best food made.

I have white leghorns and red sex links, and they lay every day when it's laying season. BRs are supposed to be high production as well. However, as previously suggested, having more than you need is a good idea to accomodate for loss and individual hens laying habits.
Chicken math takes over, I add any time of the year. Can’t help myself it is like an addiction. 😂

"Simply Local - Farmers Market" is a good place to sell some extra eggs. Download the app on the app store and you can create your farm. It's a great app that you can advertise if you sell eggs, any type of meat, dairy and soon fruits and veggies. Plus you can purchase things from there. Definitely recommend that app and great for sellers and buyers
Almost certain you would need a permit in Florida to sell eggs anywhere other than your farm. With covid now happening not sure you could even get a permit. Better check that out if you have not already done so.

We have over 21 laying hens and 18 pullets we are waiting to start laying. Our 7 year old son sells the eggs to our neighbors and the feed store. We still can’t get enough eggs to keep them all supplied. So if you have a regular demand for the eggs you may need more birds than you would think you may need. Better to have too much than not enough. And if the eggs are about to go bad feed them back to the girls as a treat.

Almost certain you would need a permit in Florida to sell eggs anywhere other than your farm. With covid now happening not sure you could even get a permit. Better check that out if you have not already done so.
I wonder if you would be fine as you can sell eggs on your farm. Simply Local is just advertising it in a way but definitely do check the local rules for selling

Back
Top Bottom