how many chickens.........

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by emjay, Oct 13, 2009.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    175 sq. foot run, lots of perches and a platform. How many hens comfortably will fit in there??

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Is this their entire space, or is there a coop too?

If this is their entire space you should probably not contemplate giving them less than 10 sq ft per chicken, and even that's pretty tight IMHO.

Myself I would not keep more than 6-8 chickens in that space because they act a lot happier and more relaxed and 'natural' with more per-capita room.

But you could probably put twice that number in there without running too unreasonably high a risk of problems. Possibly a bit more if there is a separate coop, or if the coop is raised up over part of the run so's not to subtract from the run's floorspace.

JMHO, have fun,

Pat

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  3. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    they have access to their very roomy coop all day long too. so they aren't confined/locked outside.

4. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    I agree with Patand.

With 175 square feet, you could have 17 and a half chickens, but you're proably better off with half that in the space you have.

5. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    I have 11, maybe 10 as one is most likely a roo. and he can't stay.

I think I am going to tap out at that and then see about making another coop and run beside the existing one.
    see if I can't convert the dog house that doesn't get used into a coop for 5 other birds that someone wants to give me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by