1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many chicks for Cochin Bantam?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newchickens2009, Feb 1, 2012.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    I have a R.I.R. sitting on 11 eggs (yes not normal for R.I.R. but she went broody so I gave her a chance and so far so good) that are do to hatch on Saturday the 4th and a Cochin Bantam setting on 6 eggs that are do to hatch on Saturday the 11th. I also have 12 Welsummer chicks do to arrive on Friday the 10th. If all goes well can I give the Cochin's chicks to the R.I.R. when they hatch and put my Wellie chicks under the Cochin?
    My goal is for mother hen to do the work so I don't have to use my brooder and have all the worries that come with keeping them warm and tidy. Besides I think mother hen does a better job than me and I enjoy watching them all run around together behind mom and learning all they can. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

2. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Bump

3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    The RIR's chicks would be a week older then the Cochin's, which could be a bit of a problem. When chicks just hatch the mother doesn't move around very much, but at a week she expects them to be able to go all over the yard with her. It is very possible the RIR's expectations of the Cochin's chicks will be too much, and will be the end of them. Also, RIR's aren't as accepting when it comes to adoption as Cochins. It is possible the RIR will attack the newcomers.

The Cochin's brood is only hatching the day before, so her chicks would be a great age to mingle with the Welsummers. It will be a big brood, but they should be fine. I have had many broods that large, and the hens usually loose a couple of chicks, but that is to be expected with free-range fowl.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by