1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How many chicks for our coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by EastBayChickens, Mar 2, 2008.

1. EastBayChickens

EastBayChickens In the Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    We're going to be buying some straight run bantams (silkies, I think) and I was wondering how many we should buy. I assume the odds are supposed to be 50/50 for girls.

We have a 6x5 coop with two levels. How many banties can realistically fit in that space (they will be allowed to range for a while almost every day). How many banties are good for that space, and how many straight run chicks should we buy to get about that many? We do have a place for the males already lined up since we can't keep them here in suburbia.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom. My husband and I are having a hard time deciding on a number.

2. SamG347

SamG347 Songster

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    You can get sexed bantams at Mypetchicken.com. They are pricey but the only place I know of that sells sexed bantams. Also there is still a chance you could get roos as sexing isnt 100% right. I would say you could put 10 bantams in the coop. I usually like to give my standards 4-6 sq/ft per bird but since bantams are so little I would say 2-3 sq/ft per bird is fine. For coop space. My birds have a huge run as well.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: