How many chicks for our coop?

EastBayChickens

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 25, 2008
We're going to be buying some straight run bantams (silkies, I think) and I was wondering how many we should buy. I assume the odds are supposed to be 50/50 for girls.

We have a 6x5 coop with two levels. How many banties can realistically fit in that space (they will be allowed to range for a while almost every day). How many banties are good for that space, and how many straight run chicks should we buy to get about that many? We do have a place for the males already lined up since we can't keep them here in suburbia.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom. My husband and I are having a hard time deciding on a number.

You can get sexed bantams at Mypetchicken.com. They are pricey but the only place I know of that sells sexed bantams. Also there is still a chance you could get roos as sexing isnt 100% right. I would say you could put 10 bantams in the coop. I usually like to give my standards 4-6 sq/ft per bird but since bantams are so little I would say 2-3 sq/ft per bird is fine. For coop space. My birds have a huge run as well.
Good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom