How many chicks is 48 square feet good for?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmeeter88, Mar 23, 2009.

1. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    I am building a shed from Lowe's that is 8 x 6, and I will be making the necessary amendments to make it a suitable home for chickens. I was hoping to have around 8 - 10 chickens... Is 48 square feet enough room?

2. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    yep that sounds perfect size. I think it is supposed to be 4 sq ft per chicken.

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Sounds good. I would advise you to make the biggest run that you can. My hens continually surprise me with their willingness to hang outside in the rain & snow. At least they aren't fighting.

I would also advise you to stay off BYC. It will impede your ability to limit your flock. [​IMG]
    Better yet - just buy two of those sheds!!!![​IMG]

4. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    Mine is that size. I can fit 20-25 in there comfortably.

5. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Ours is also that size, and we've housed up to 25 in it with no problem. It depends on how you plan for your chickens to use it.

Our chickens roam a fenced acre during the day. They're let out at the crack of dawn, and return to the coop on their own at night. They can come and go as they please, and I've noticed that they're almost never in the coop, except to lay eggs, even in nasty weather. So having much less than the recommended 4 square foot per chicken coop space isn't an issue for us.

If you're planning on having your chickens spend more time in the coop, or planning to confine them to a run, you're best off adhering to the 4 square foot per chicken rule, or even more space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by