How many chicks is 48 square feet good for?

jmeeter88

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
New Hartford, NY
I am building a shed from Lowe's that is 8 x 6, and I will be making the necessary amendments to make it a suitable home for chickens. I was hoping to have around 8 - 10 chickens... Is 48 square feet enough room?

Sounds good. I would advise you to make the biggest run that you can. My hens continually surprise me with their willingness to hang outside in the rain & snow. At least they aren't fighting.

I would also advise you to stay off BYC. It will impede your ability to limit your flock.
ep.gif

Better yet - just buy two of those sheds!!!!
lau.gif

Ours is also that size, and we've housed up to 25 in it with no problem. It depends on how you plan for your chickens to use it.

Our chickens roam a fenced acre during the day. They're let out at the crack of dawn, and return to the coop on their own at night. They can come and go as they please, and I've noticed that they're almost never in the coop, except to lay eggs, even in nasty weather. So having much less than the recommended 4 square foot per chicken coop space isn't an issue for us.

If you're planning on having your chickens spend more time in the coop, or planning to confine them to a run, you're best off adhering to the 4 square foot per chicken rule, or even more space.

Back
Top Bottom