How many chicks (not eggs) can a standard sized broody manage?

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I've been dying to hatch some babies, but I've got two roosters so my need to create a breeding coop and enclosure is paramount. I've got everything ready now except the fence/pen so I'm only 2-4 weeks away from finally being able to set some eggs. My question is this: I want to hatch far more than 12 eggs. I'm aiming to set 24. If I put 12 under my broody and set 12-14 more in the 'bator (first time using one), can I move all of those chicks under mama when they hatch? Will she be able to keep them warm?

Background on broody hen: Mama hen has successfully raised two batches of chicks, and reliably goes full broody every 2-3 weeks. She is full broody now and being broken. I also have a new broody pullet who has been on and off broody for a couple weeks, but I think she finally hit full broody these last couple of days. She's being broken too. I could get lucky and have two broodies. I'd trust putting the pullet in with the broody hen since the hen raised the pullet and I think they'd coparent well. I won't count on the pullet though, just expressing my hopes.

I'm seriously beside myself over wanting chicks!

What breed is she and what is the weather like? You can fit more bantam chicks than starndards. The most my hens (pheonixes so on the small side if standards) ever could care for properly was 13, but that was in August when it was warm and they were confined so they couldn't wander too far away

What breed is she and what is the weather like? You can fit more bantam chicks than starndards. The most my hens (pheonixes so on the small side if standards) ever could care for properly was 13, but that was in August when it was warm and they were confined so they couldn't wander too far away
I'm in Southwestern Pa. The weather will be lovely this week, averaging 70s during the day and 40s-50s at night, but spring temps can change at the drop of a dime! Mama hen is a standard blue splash Ameraucana. I have space to safely keep mom and chicks indoors for 1-2 weeks, but in sight of the rest of the flock. She's been a wonderful mom. We've had to occasionally rescue a chick that couldn't quite figure out the ramp into the main coop, and once mom decides to go to bed, if there are chicks left outside she will cluck for them, but will not leave her roost. The largest brood she's had was four chicks.

I'm in Southwestern Pa. The weather will be lovely this week, averaging 70s during the day and 40s-50s at night, but spring temps can change at the drop of a dime! Mama hen is a standard blue splash Ameraucana. I have space to safely keep mom and chicks indoors for 1-2 weeks, but in sight of the rest of the flock. She's been a wonderful mom. We've had to occasionally rescue a chick that couldn't quite figure out the ramp into the main coop, and once mom decides to go to bed, if there are chicks left outside she will cluck for them, but will not leave her roost. The largest brood she's had was four chicks.
I personally would just see how many eggs she can cover fully and leave it at that number. After all, if she can't cover the eggs, the chicks will be bigger and less likely to be covered

I personally would just see how many eggs she can cover fully and leave it at that number. After all, if she can't cover the eggs, the chicks will be bigger and less likely to be covered
That’s sort of what I was thinking I just don’t have the space for an extra brooder and a mama hen and I love the quality of bird I get from chicks raised by a hen. I will hold out hope that the pullet or another one of my hens goes broody. It’s happened before! It would be sooooo ideal to let mom do all of the work!

Back
Top Bottom