how many chicks should I get?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MNmommy, Mar 15, 2009.

1. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    ok our city is finally allowing chickens as of this coming tuesday!!! I am so excited to finally be able to have chickens. So my question is I found a breeder about 1 1/2 hours from me that has the breeds I want but only does straight run. Our ordinance only allows 4 hens. So I am looking at getting 4 different hens. I want bantams in silkies and polish.
    My goal is one white silkie, one golden laced polish, one buff laced polish, and one white crested polish. I can do 2 silkies too...We will see what he has hatching but since I can only have 4 hens how many straight run chicks should I buy. I was thinking about 10-12 ....3 of each breed in hopes of having at least 4 hens with a nice variety?? I have a home for the males and if I get lucky with 5 hens I just might have to keep her too. I guess since I am making the trip I just want to buy enough and get the 4 hens in one trip so do you think 12 straight runs are enough?? Or should I throw in a couple more?? I would just be crushed if they all were males which I know could happen there is no guarantees. He charges $6 per chick which is a little higher than some online places but many places are out of what I want and I want my everlasting gobbstopper now!!!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The odds that one will be female

1 chick, 1 in 2

2 chicks, 3 in 4

3 chicks, 7 in 8

4 chicks, 15 in 16

Hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by