1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how many claws do your emus have?

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by foulman007, Mar 29, 2011.

1. foulman007

foulman007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    Was just looking at one of my babies up close and noticed that she has a claw on each of her "wings" anyone ever notice that before? not just a worthless wing but a claw too? I'll have to look at my adults a little closer. Oh by the way that makes 8

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Well I WAS wanting an emu. Clawed wings could persuade me to stick with chickens though. [​IMG]

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Yes, they all have a claw on the end of the wing finger. Must go back to their dino days... hehe It looks like a dog's or cat's claw.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  4. casuarius

casuarius Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    NC
    Quote:Well I WAS wanting an emu. Clawed wings could persuade me to stick with chickens though. [​IMG]

Haha, well it's just a tiny little claw on a wing that they dont use. Their wing is basically the size and shape of a human finger. The claws on their feet are the onlything that can be dangerous, if you provoke them.

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Chickens have that on their wings too, don't they? I think I remember seeing one on the last rooster I cleaned.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

yep, some chickens have it also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by