How many cortunix breeders in cage??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by davedavey, Mar 3, 2014.

1. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    I have a nice raised pen I made. It is 3 feet wide by 8 feet long. I have my quail in quads in the shed for the winter. But am going to move them into the bigger pen. I am just wondering how many quail will work in this size of cage?? It is 24 square feet. Any Ideas would help a lot. I do have 10 hens and 5 roos. Thanks Dave.

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

They aren't going to be able to mixed together, without a whole lot of headaches. Its difficult to get one bird to integrate into a group let a lone try to get 5 roosters raised apart from each other to get a long. The only way I've had success keeping two or more roosters in the same pen is when they are raised together and never separated. The other problem you will have is once they start breeding for a while the hens get attached to their roosters so they will attack other hens and roosters to protect what they feel is theirs. The short story is if you mix a whole bunch of separate coturnix groups you will have some dead or injured birds on your hands.

You could get by with 1 per sq ft but gamebirds always do better when you give them more space. 18-24 cots should fit in there and cause you no problems though.

3. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    X2 on what DC said........But also I have a pen with the exact same dimensions and i put a divider halfway and housed one roo with abt 7 hens

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by