How many day to hatch quail??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jwatts, May 22, 2012.

1. jwatts

jwatts Songster

Apr 16, 2011
    I have heard that its only 17 days to hatch quail. Is this true for all breeds? I have coturnix eggs on the incu now. I seen some bobwhite eggs on websites that say 22-23 days. Thank you

2. bingrancher

bingrancher Chirping

Feb 10, 2012
    Cots are 17 days and i believe most other quail are a few days longer.

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Crowing

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Most new world quail incubate for 23 ish days.... I think buttons hatch over night! [​IMG] Bill

1 person likes this.
  4. afchicken

afchicken Chirping

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    cots=16-17days and if not many hatch ill leave in the incubator for 3more days

5. Puyallup Chris

Puyallup Chris In the Brooder

Everything I have ever seen for Bobwhites is 22 days. In the three times I have hatched them, it has been exactly 22 days to hatch.

However, today is day 24 and I had 3 quail hatch from a batch (This is my first attempt to hatch eggs taht were from our own adults.)

So: They take 22 days. But is can happen 2 days prior or up to 3 days after. Also, I have read that if you keep the temp off by 1-2 degrees, it will impact when they hatch. But, it also negatively impacts the success rate.

6. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Crowing

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Bob white and most all other new world quail take 23 days. If you google bobwhite incubation time it will confirm this. If your hatch time is running 22 days, Id say your bator is just a bit hot.

I would not give up on this batch just yet. give it a day or two... And yes you will not have as good of hatch rate with a bator too hot or cool. Just a tad hot you wont notice as much with the chicks that hatch. A little cool, the chicks stay in the shell longer and you'll notice more chicks with curled toes and such.... and those that just quit at the end.

7. _Randall_

_Randall_ Songster

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Ditto! What I tend to question when folks are not seeing actual hatching on that 23rd day is..........What day do you consider "Day 1"? The answer to that can be explained as such ------ If I set eggs right now at 9:00 pm on this beautiful Missippy night, then tomorrow night (Saturday night) will be considered "Day 1". And yep, if'n you are consistantly having the delivery on day 22, then you are indeed incubating a little bit hotter than 99.5 degrees. If you are content with your hatch rate, survival rate, and overall health of the chicks with this repeated process, then I'm really......more than anything.........curious as to what your actual temp is running in your bator?

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Many times my Bobs have hatched on day 24, even pushing day 25. I like to keep my temp at 99.7. Bobs like a bit more heat, I think, than other quail species, although this is only my observation. I would give them till day 26 and if nothing has happened, then it is safe to say the eggs are past their prime!

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  9. channyx904

channyx904 In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    jacksonville. fl
    This helps a lot I was just posting how its day 23 bu I suppose actually day 22 sine I put them late in on the 1st. thanks guys!

10. Tracy callaghan

Tracy callaghan Hatching

Jul 1, 2016
    What day is lock down as I've read posts saying quails hatch on day 19 but I see different here :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: