How many day to hatch quail??

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
I have heard that its only 17 days to hatch quail. Is this true for all breeds? I have coturnix eggs on the incu now. I seen some bobwhite eggs on websites that say 22-23 days. Thank you

Most new world quail incubate for 23 ish days.... I think buttons hatch over night!
lau.gif
Bill

Everything I have ever seen for Bobwhites is 22 days. In the three times I have hatched them, it has been exactly 22 days to hatch.

However, today is day 24 and I had 3 quail hatch from a batch (This is my first attempt to hatch eggs taht were from our own adults.)

So: They take 22 days. But is can happen 2 days prior or up to 3 days after. Also, I have read that if you keep the temp off by 1-2 degrees, it will impact when they hatch. But, it also negatively impacts the success rate.

Everything I have ever seen for Bobwhites is 22 days. In the three times I have hatched them, it has been exactly 22 days to hatch.

However, today is day 24 and I had 3 quail hatch from a batch (This is my first attempt to hatch eggs taht were from our own adults.)

So: They take 22 days. But is can happen 2 days prior or up to 3 days after. Also, I have read that if you keep the temp off by 1-2 degrees, it will impact when they hatch. But, it also negatively impacts the success rate.

Bob white and most all other new world quail take 23 days. If you google bobwhite incubation time it will confirm this. If your hatch time is running 22 days, Id say your bator is just a bit hot.

I would not give up on this batch just yet. give it a day or two... And yes you will not have as good of hatch rate with a bator too hot or cool. Just a tad hot you wont notice as much with the chicks that hatch. A little cool, the chicks stay in the shell longer and you'll notice more chicks with curled toes and such.... and those that just quit at the end.

Bob white and most all other new world quail take 23 days. If you google bobwhite incubation time it will confirm this. If your hatch time is running 22 days, Id say your bator is just a bit hot.

I would not give up on this batch just yet. give it a day or two... And yes you will not have as good of hatch rate with a bator too hot or cool. Just a tad hot you wont notice as much with the chicks that hatch. A little cool, the chicks stay in the shell longer and you'll notice more chicks with curled toes and such.... and those that just quit at the end.
Ditto! What I tend to question when folks are not seeing actual hatching on that 23rd day is..........What day do you consider "Day 1"? The answer to that can be explained as such ------ If I set eggs right now at 9:00 pm on this beautiful Missippy night, then tomorrow night (Saturday night) will be considered "Day 1". And yep, if'n you are consistantly having the delivery on day 22, then you are indeed incubating a little bit hotter than 99.5 degrees. If you are content with your hatch rate, survival rate, and overall health of the chicks with this repeated process, then I'm really......more than anything.........curious as to what your actual temp is running in your bator?

Many times my Bobs have hatched on day 24, even pushing day 25. I like to keep my temp at 99.7. Bobs like a bit more heat, I think, than other quail species, although this is only my observation. I would give them till day 26 and if nothing has happened, then it is safe to say the eggs are past their prime!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom