How many days to treat sour crop with acidified copper sulfate?

mama23

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 5, 2009
I found the dosage is 1/4 tsp per gallon, but could not find how many days to do this. Is it 7 days like the other yeast treatments? Is it okay for the other girls to drink it at the same time at this dose?

Would copper or a fungal medication be better? My hen is six and started feeling rough with her moult. Saggy stinky crop. Smells just like yeast.

Thanks for any assistance!

Last edited:
Seven to ten days, mixed fresh each day. It's okay for all to drink.
Azygous, yesterday before I heard back on this, I had started her on miconazole and she seemed to be improving a little. She had two tiny stool, which was better than the liquid explosive she had before with only tiny bits of stool in it. She had two doses yesterday and this morning was back to the same stools she had previously. And her crop smells awful still. I did start her on copper sulfate but it’s 2pm and she hasn’t drank anything all day or had any BMs. I am concerned she may be totally blocked and need crop surgery at this point. Though I’m not sure what exactly the goal with that is aside from emptying the rotten out and he has a way of looking to see if she has any blockages while he’s in the crop. I’m giving her bread soaked in the copper sulfate liquid to try to at least jump start her on it, but I don’t like doing that bc bread has yeast and I also don’t want any getting in her trachea. I’m at a loss. Do you have any suggestions? If I see no stool overnight I plan to take her to the vet. Also I’m assuming I should just stop the miconazole since she has gotten worse on it and not better. Thanks for any suggestions.

Update at 4:30 today she did pass urates so some liquid is getting through. They were solid looking and white. No crystals. No stool.

Last edited:
Seven to ten days, mixed fresh each day. It's okay for all to drink.
There may be some confusion as to which crop disorder your chicken has. Impacted crop can also become sour, but the impaction has to be treated before the yeast in order to get the crop moving. Here's my article to help you. Feel free to ask more questions after you read it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I’ve read it a few times over the last few days. I had another hen with a near baseball impacted crop that drained all liquid each night and left a hard mass and finally got that pushed on through. This hen is not the same. I can feel some stuff in her crop maybe like broken egg shells but I can’t feel food, but it’s not emptying. It’s not like my other hen by any means. It just is sort of liquid in the morning and doesn’t empty. When I take a sniff it smells like yeast. She didn’t take a drink at all today and feet pads still seem hydrated as of this afternoon. So some things are moving through just slow.

Could she have pendulous crop? That's the condition where the crop is slow due to the crop hanging too low, usually from weak chest muscles. Compare her to the way the other chickens' crops hang. It may be she could use a crop bra.

It’s possible I guess but it’s not hanging low. It’s not that big. I’ve had a hen with that before and actually had surgery to cut out the thin stretched tissue of the crop and the thick tissue resected and it was different all around. She sagged low and the crop bra didn’t help hence the surgery.

Since her breath smells sour, you could go ahead and start treating for yeast.
Yes I started on miconazole yesterday and it made her worse. After three doses I stopped bc now she won’t drink. Today added the acidified copper sulfate to her water but she never took one drink. I’m going to see how she does in the morning.

It's difficult to understand how miconazole could make a yeast infection worse. That's like thinking using a triple antibiotic wound ointment could make a wound worse. It may be you aren't using enough. You can't over dose miconazole.

But if you'd rather use copper sulfate, that's okay. If she refuses to drink, syringe or tube it into the crop.

Another alternative is to get some Medistatin. It's usually for sour crop and other yeast infections in pigeons. You can find it online or at pigeon supply shops.

Back
Top Bottom