How many days to treat sour crop with acidified copper sulfate?

It's difficult to understand how miconazole could make a yeast infection worse. That's like thinking using a triple antibiotic wound ointment could make a wound worse. It may be you aren't using enough. You can't over dose miconazole.

But if you'd rather use copper sulfate, that's okay. If she refuses to drink, syringe or tube it into the crop.

Another alternative is to get some Medistatin. It's usually for sour crop and other yeast infections in pigeons. You can find it online or at pigeon supply shops.
It didn’t seem to make any difference on the yeast after three treatments and she just seemed worse overall so I don’t know what happened. Because she seemed maybe a bit better yesterday with some stool and then worse today I wondered if she just didn’t tolerate it. I could be wrong of course. Im just going off what I’m seeing. I used about an inch of the cream each time. Do you know how long it takes to make a difference? I’ve seen so many on here say it worked right away. Maybe I’m not giving it long enough. She hasn’t missed a dose yet. Last dose was this morning. I can still run out and give it. How long is typical for improvement ?

Did you do two doses each day? One a day isn't enough, although the individual dose was adequate.

Most sour crops respond positively to miconazole within the first forty-eight hours. Very difficult cases will take twice as long, and some, when there's a sever underlying health condition, never get better.

There is a treatment you could do that involves an Epsom salt flush if you would be comfortable with tubing fluids. This is a major clean-out of the entire digestive system. The Epsom salts will neitralize the yeast and flush it out of the crop and out of the intestines. Then you would continue with the copper sulfate drinking water for another seven to ten days to pick off any yeast that tries to come back. Would you be up for that?

Did you do two doses each day? One a day isn't enough, although the individual dose was adequate.

Most sour crops respond positively to miconazole within the first forty-eight hours. Very difficult cases will take twice as long, and some, when there's a sever underlying health condition, never get better.

There is a treatment you could do that involves an Epsom salt flush if you would be comfortable with tubing fluids. This is a major clean-out of the entire digestive system. The Epsom salts will neitralize the yeast and flush it out of the crop and out of the intestines. Then you would continue with the copper sulfate drinking water for another seven to ten days to pick off any yeast that tries to come back. Would you be up for that?
Yeah I treated her twice a day with the cream. I’m good with tubing and have done it before so yes please share.

This flush may seem excessive, but I assure you the chicken tolerates it well, and I've seen them energized by it. The amounts are for an average size chicken. (For a bantam, I would do half the quantity.)

The protocol for Epsom salt flush is one teaspoon of Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) dissolved into half cup of warm water. This is tubed into the crop twice a day for three consecutive days. Be sure all of the solution is tubed into the chicken. Off plenty of fresh plain water in between these flushes as it can be dehydrating.

Follow up with copper sulfate solution in the water for seven to ten days to kill any remaining yeast spores.

This flush may seem excessive, but I assure you the chicken tolerates it well, and I've seen them energized by it. The amounts are for an average size chicken. (For a bantam, I would do half the quantity.)

The protocol for Epsom salt flush is one teaspoon of Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) dissolved into half cup of warm water. This is tubed into the crop twice a day for three consecutive days. Be sure all of the solution is tubed into the chicken. Off plenty of fresh plain water in between these flushes as it can be dehydrating.

Follow up with copper sulfate solution in the water for seven to ten days to kill any remaining yeast spores.
Thank you for your help. Will see if she makes any progress.

She’s been pooping out green liquid and it smells like fish. Is this consistent with the yeast infection or does that seem more bacterial infection to you?

Not feed but she will eat chick weed and these little wild berries in the yard and insects.

Back
Top Bottom