How many drakes is too many?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by inlovewitharunnerduck, Aug 10, 2010.

1. inlovewitharunnerduck

inlovewitharunnerduck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Hi! I have six 'teenage' ducks that were hatched out here naturally by a mom duck. Their parents are a Blue Runner and a Cayuga. They are beautiful: four silver ones (one has a green wing!) and four green/black ones. They are three months old. I am listening to them quack, and it seems I have only ONE girl. The other five do the male quack (that raspy, throaty sound). The for-sure girl quacks loudly like the grown female Cayugas.

I am very attached to them since I've known them from day one. One hatched in my hands and another was a preemie with yolk sac still attached and I had to nurture her and hand feed her and hold her a lot. My concern is TOO MANY DRAKES. If I do have five drakes, that adds to my already one grown male Runner, making six. That would leave me with four hens and six drakes. I fear the hens would be constantly pestered and that there would be in-fighting among the males.

Any helpful advice? I don't want to have to give them away because my kids and I are bonded, but I don't want a sticky situation once the hormones kick in.
    thanks!
    Tracey in Vermont

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Your choices are...

1. Give away or sell most of the drakes
    2. Get enough girls to have 3 females per male
    3. Set up a separate bachelor pen

3. inlovewitharunnerduck

Jul 10, 2010
    thanks Wifezilla...as I suspected. Maybe I can trade a few for females, but most people don't want more males, right? THey might EAT them!!! To me they are all pets. So, possibly a bachelor pen....my ducks are free range, so I might not want to do that either. Or I guess finding good homes. So sad. Can you believe that out of six ducklings FIVE are drakes? What are the odds of that.

BTW, is the rule of thumb 3 girls per drake?

Thanks so much!

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    So sorry aout your ratio..I have been lucky with my hatching lately and found I am having a shortage of males. Out of 25 hatched 22 were Female!!

Any less than 3 females and the drakes will be too demanding on them.... Too many and fertility could be effected.

5. inlovewitharunnerduck

Jul 10, 2010
    Too bad you're in Australia--or you could take a few of my very sweet drakes! Thanks for the advice. I don't know what I'll do yet. I figure I have another month before the hormones kick in to figure it out.

6. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I am in the same situation. I have 6 fawn and white runners. Two are definitely females and the other 4 are males. I'm trying to find more females in my area. Someone did write wanting some drakes but I would rather trade or find girls before I get rid of the drakes. Make sense? I really love my ducks. They are just over 3 months old.

I had a girl that quacked all the time which kept the other girl quiet. For a long time I thought I had all boys and 1 girl. At least now I have 2 which is a tiny bit better then 1.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by