How Many Drakes per Duck??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickens4me, Nov 9, 2009.

1. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have 4 males & 6 females. The males are fighting a little bit now & I think it will get worse in the spring? [​IMG] By "fighting," I mean one male chases the other around until it bites other on the back of the neck and holds on tightly...it looks like it hurts a lot.

I was thinking of selling at least 2 of them~~What do you all think? Thanks!

2. littleee

littleee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Temecula
    HI, drakes can become involved in "rape" of hens. I actually have had some drowned by two Cayuga males continually mounting her in a muddy area. They then did it to a large fowl Rooster in the same area. It is a well documented fact that drakes which do not have mates can do this... and it can often result in drowning. I actually watched in horror as they did it to the chicken (but it did not survive).

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    At LEAST 2 ducks per drake. Right now I have 2 drakes and 5 hens. So far only minor squabbling, but we will see what happens as the boys mature. So you can ditch 2 of the drakes or use it as an excuse to buy more girls [​IMG]

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are Muscovy then you should have a minimum of 3-4 hens per drake. Those boys like their girls! [​IMG]

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

If they are call ducks either keep them in pairs or trios. No more than 2 ducks per drake.

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Yeah, id sell two since you need 2-3 girls per drake.

7. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the great advice everyone! So now I am off to Craig's List to sell those two "extras" for sure. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by