How many duck eggs did you EAT today?

my grandmother who came over from Austria-Hungary at age 16 in 1928 called the dish Orshteds …
Okay, i found your link to TastesBetterFromScratch and let me tell you calling that dish »German Pancakes« is dead wrong!
The typical German pancake is made from a batter, consisting of milk, eggs, sugar, salt and wheat-flour and is about 2cm (a little less than 1") thick. Baked in a frying pan, usually with butter(!), from both sides by throwing it through the air to flip it over.
For simple pancakes that's it and they will be eaten as a substitute for bread with soup or a stew. However, it is very common to plaster the pancake with (slices of) fruit while one side is baking in the pan. Most popular are cherries, apples and plum:
1713334591376.png

Kirschpfannkuchen (Cherry pancake)
1713334684478.png

Apfelpfannkuchen (Apple pancake)
1713334762329.png

Pflaumenpfannkuchen (Plum pancake)

The variants with fruits are placed on a plate, drizzled with sugar and then covered with a pan-lid until the sugar has melted. And such a pancake is not a desert! That is a full meal and many people are not able to eat even one.

The dish on that web-site, i have never seen in Germany, to me this looks like a dish from the Scandinavia - yes, maybe even dutch.

Okay, i found your link to TastesBetterFromScratch and let me tell you calling that dish »German Pancakes« is dead wrong!
The typical German pancake is made from a batter, consisting of milk, eggs, sugar, salt and wheat-flour and is about 2cm (a little less than 1") thick. Baked in a frying pan, usually with butter(!), from both sides by throwing it through the air to flip it over.
For simple pancakes that's it and they will be eaten as a substitute for bread with soup or a stew. However, it is very common to plaster the pancake with (slices of) fruit while one side is baking in the pan. Most popular are cherries, apples and plum:
View attachment 3803565
View attachment 3803566
View attachment 3803567

The variants with fruits are placed on a plate, drizzled with sugar and then covered with a pan-lid until the sugar has melted. And such a pancake is not a desert! That is a full meal and many people are not able to eat even one.

The dish on that web-site, i have never seen in Germany, to me this looks like a dish from the Scandinavia - yes, maybe even dutch.
yes milk eggs flour sugar salt butter and vanilla! when baked in the oven becomes
ORSHTED lol

View attachment 3803565
View attachment 3803566
View attachment 3803567

Where ever it comes from it sure looks yummy.

Where ever it comes from it sure looks yummy.
I so hope that either the plum-tree or the cherry-trees will produce enough fruit this year so that i can make some German pancakes here. The cherries are usually too expensive to use for baking and plums - i haven't seen plums in any supermarket here for years!

I so hope that either the plum-tree or the cherry-trees will produce enough fruit this year so that i can make some German pancakes here. The cherries are usually too expensive to use for baking and plums - i haven't seen plums in any supermarket here for years!
ok give me a ring when they are ready i be right over with my 🍴

5 ducks eggs
3 mashed bananas
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup pancake mix
salt to taste

1/2 stick butter in fry pan

made 16 pancakes

ate 4 of them

how many ducks eggs did jen consume?

Back
Top Bottom