How many duck eggs do you get? What do you do with excess?

Crazy Maizie

Free Ranging
Jul 3, 2020
I am wanting to add female ducks to my flock of muscovies, but I am looking at other breeds.
I almost went to pick up some runners, but then read that they produce 300 eggs per yr. I can't eat the muscovy duck eggs due to them giving me stomach issues. Muscovies aren't the biggest egg layers. I mostly feed their eggs to my chickens. However, I could not fathom having an excess of 900 eggs that I can't eat (if I added 3 to my flock).
I have tried rehoming some drakes so that I wouldn't have to add females with no luck.
So, my question is do mallard based ducks really lay well. If so, what do you do with all of the eggs?

Ps. I already have more than enough chicken eggs for my family.

All my ducks are mallard based and they lay fantastically. Even my Pekin ( Who aren't known for being amazing producers ) lays every day. I give extra eggs to my neighbors, who find them to be a delicacy, Bake with them ( They are super rich ), and I sell them.
If you want more ducks who don’t lay as much, Call ducks only lay 30-75 eggs each year, plus they are so darn cute!

Last edited:
i have 2 girls that sometimes lay two eggs a day each, so we get 12+ eggs every week. we don’t eat the eggs, so we either give them away or feed them back to the girls. don’t feed every single egg back though because it’s not too healthy if given too much

i have 2 girls that sometimes lay two eggs a day each, so we get 12+ eggs every week. we don’t eat the eggs, so we either give them away or feed them back to the girls. don’t feed every single egg back though because it’s not too healthy if given too much
Yeah. I only feed them 1 or 2 eggs and not every day.

When my ducks were younger they layed daily, but some took a break over the winter. Now that they are 6.5 and 7.5 years old they lay less. They take a much longer winter break. Sometimes they only lay one egg a week each and sometimes they lay daily.

I don't eat their eggs either, but I used to give them away to family members and friends. I liked it that people were using my eggs instead of supporting factory farms. Sometimes I fed them to my dog. Now I usually compost them and grow my ducks favorite cherry tomatoes with the compost.

You can go on metzer site and see the average of what every breed lays. A lot of other places purchases ducks through them. So some breeds lay a bit less. I use to have only 13 ducks and I would get about 8 eggs a day. So they don't all lay everyday. The Muscovy definitely lay less then mallard breeds.

I try and sell some of my eggs to off set a bit of feed costs. But I toss a lot of eggs. I don't have them for eggs.

You can go on metzer site and see the average of what every breed lays. A lot of other places purchases ducks through them. So some breeds lay a bit less. I use to have only 13 ducks and I would get about 8 eggs a day. So they don't all lay everyday. The Muscovy definitely lay less then mallard breeds.

I try and sell some of my eggs to off set a bit of feed costs. But I toss a lot of eggs. I don't have them for eggs.
We have a lot of road side "brown eggs for sale" signs here - but I'm not sure if there are restrictions for those type of businesses. (We all know brown eggs are more nutritional than all other eggs.) :eyeroll:
I'm not in it for eggs either, but the thought of tossing potentially 900 eggs ... :th

We have a lot of road side "brown eggs for sale" signs here - but I'm not sure if there are restrictions for those type of businesses. (We all know brown eggs are more nutritional than all other eggs.) :eyeroll:
I'm not in it for eggs either, but the thought of tossing potentially 900 eggs ... :th
Completely understand. I have not been very successful at selling. I am not a great self promoter. I put it on craigslist and what every sell wastes less egg and helps with feed. I don't think my Welsh harlequin lay that many eggs.

Back
Top Bottom