1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many eggs a day do chickens lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amyrushell, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Amyrushell

Amyrushell New Egg

Nov 21, 2010
    How many eggs a day do chickens lay?

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    It takes 26 hours for an egg to form from start to finish inside a chicken, so they won't lay more than one a day.

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Usually only one. Sometimes it will seem like they lay two but that is just how it is. You won't probably ever get 365 eggs a year from a laying hen. Everyone needs a break sometimes. [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    1 person likes this.
  5. Amyrushell

Amyrushell New Egg

Nov 21, 2010
    Thanks! That must mean that more than one of our chickens is now laying - I've only seen one- so exciting to be getting our first eggs! Feels like easter!

6. chicken luver

chicken luver New Egg

Jun 17, 2013
    Hey my gramma and I just got 50 new chickens, it sucks cause i have to clean out our upstairs in our barn but we wont have to buy eggs anymore, can't wait till they start laying. should be a few weeks!!!

7. Lydia77

Lydia77 Out Of The Brooder

We just started getting eggs this week and we are very excited! Eating them as we speak and my Oh my are they tasty!

8. countryriders2

countryriders2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    We are getting our eggs now. We have 2 RIR and 2 Rocks that are producing. We are getting 4 eggs a day and one day we even got a double yoker. COOL!
    We have to Orpington who are just about 3 months. [​IMG]

9. Hayduke27

Hayduke27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Gunnison, CO
  10. BR Flockster

BR Flockster New Egg

Apr 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by