how many eggs can my broody hen hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wanttobefarmer, May 19, 2011.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    hello I had 21 fertile eggs arrive today, and I have a broody cuckoo maran, so i placed the eggs under her and she is sitting on them. I heard that a broody can be better than an incubator( my hatch rate was 50 percent at best). Anyway she is a large hen and I wanted to know if 21 was too many. thanks

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    As long as they're not sticking out on the sides I'd go for it. [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    21 sounds like a lot, but if she is able to cover all of them with out stacking them she should be OK. Candle and remove any that are not developing to make things easier on her.

4. chena16c

chena16c Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Haha! My cuckoo maran just went broody too! Must be the weather we're having. I have 13 eggs under her....2 of them are her own unfertilized eggs...and she kick a "fertilized" one out of the nest today. The 13 fit but I wouldn't put anymore under her. I guess it depends on how big and "flat" she is.

5. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Thanks everyone. 8 of the eggs are small to medium white eggs and since she completely fills the nesting box everything in there has to be covered.. This will be her first time so I'll try to keep an eye on her. I have the bator standing by. This is my second tine to use a broody. I had a 7 month old showgirl hatch out 12 quail out of 25 eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by