How many eggs did you get this past week?

Wow, that's 100% laying! Hope I get there some day!
hmm.png

I got 62 eggs this week from 11 pullets, they're 30 weeks old now can I call them hens? My week starts on Sunday and ends Saturday, it's easier to keep track that way on the calender...
smile.png

Chickens all around us have slacked up bad. I have 24 hens right now and all were laying 3 weeks ago. Now I am getting only 2 eggs a day from 22 hens. To be fair we traded some hens, we got flooded out 2 weeks ago and we just changed feed. I have 10 BCM, 2 blue marans, 1 splash blue maran, 2 RIR, 3 Easter Eggers, 2 white leghorns and 4 Barred Rocks. The white Leghorns are all that are laying.
I have several friends around here and they are all having the same problems. The weather has also gone from 90 degrees to 65 degrees during the day and the low 40's at night. The flooding really wiped us out we lost eggs and birds plus all the clean-up from the mud, poop and water. I just got through with 2 heart attacks, severe diabeties and major back surgery ( 7 level spinal fusion ). I just had rehab and was just getting into being able to do stuff. Now we are feeding a bunch of poultry and really getting no eggs.
I am hoping to get some new fencing for Christmas. A few friends helped fix things back up so we can just trust the Lord and things will get better. I did get a New Blue Maran roo and 2 hens. I am going to try and post pictures.

1827_imgp2354.jpg

1827_imgp2346.jpg

1827_imgp2358.jpg

1827_imgp2332.jpg

1827_imgp2361.jpg

1827_imgp2330.jpg

1827_imgp2359.jpg

1827_imgp2334.jpg

Please let me know if you have any Idea how to get our chickens back to laying. I have a light on giving my chickens 15 hours of light a day. The other guys are not using lights. Please if you have any Ideas on how to get them laying again let us know. Please let me know what you think of these birds also. This is pictures of some of the birds. The RIR's are from William and they are awsome.

Last edited:
Quote:
beautiful chickens!! I've found that when a drastic change occurs the hens stop laying. Mine stopped laying when I introduced new chicks to my then small flock of 6 hens, I went from 30 eggs a week to 2 or 3 eggs a week.
I think after they get used to their surroundings and weather they will start to lay again.
fl.gif

Quote:
Since I can't keep a good eye on them every day I've only seen them in the nesting boxes a few times, hard for me to tell who lays the most, although my white rock lays at least 6 days a week, I can count on her..
smile.png

Australorps are supposed to be right up with RIR's, Leghorns and the Stars (mixed breed sex links); 250 to 300 eggs per year or 5 to 6 per week.

I've been reading many complaints about breeding practices resulting in less than desired utility of the heritage breeds. Back in the 20's when Australorps made the world debut it was one the world record of 6 hens laying over 1800 eggs in a year! I'm planning on some Australorps next year but hope to find a breeder who logs the production rate.

I've gotten around 238 from 43 layers. Never have gotten a 100% from them ever! 17 of them are 1 - 1 1/2 years old and the rest are between 30-34 weeks old.

To answer the question about the pullet/hen. If I'm remembering correctly their considered a pullet till their a year old!!

Missi

Back
Top Bottom