How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

We finally hit a full dozen again! Mostly thanks to our new layers lol. Kalamata laid her first gorgeous eggie for us today 😍

81F6B1F7-8ECD-4A60-B4DB-EB5F42A308A1.jpeg
0BF808A0-8F7C-45F6-AF76-1982D91C2971.jpeg
3D2445A1-D80A-497E-BEFA-0809F34E4AB5.jpeg

11/18

There was 16 (another new record), but 3 got broken when our 6 month old cockerel, Copper, attacked my 5 year old egg collector. First time this has happened with any of our roos. He will be put in his place during egg collecting tomorrow. Then 2 more got broken when my boy was taking off his chicken boots. Will get him a nice egg collecting basket to prevent this from happening again.

Attachments

• PXL_20221030_205518718.jpg
    PXL_20221030_205518718.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 3
11/18

There was 16 (another new record), but 3 got broken when our 6 month old cockerel, Copper, attacked my 5 year old egg collector. First time this has happened with any of our roos. He will be put in his place during egg collecting tomorrow. Then 2 more got broken when my boy was taking off his chicken boots. Will get him a nice egg collecting basket to prevent this from happening again.
Put in his place, meaning soup, right?

Put in his place, meaning soup, right?
No. We really like him. Not only is he gorgeous, he is also the most aware of potential predators (which we have a lot of) and breaks up pecking order disputes that go too far. Plus he has no meat on his bones.

I will go out with my kid and catch him. Then have my kid gently but firmly hold him in the squatting position in the same way a roo does with a hen. Basically show him in chicken language who is dominant. Hopefully he smartens up quick! I won't tolerate that type of behavior from a bird, but also really like him!

11/18

Hope your little egg collector is ok. We don't have roos because I have a 5 year old egg collecter too. Ours can only free range supervised and we have a good source for fertilised eggs so no need to have one for us.

Hope your little egg collector is ok. We don't have roos because I have a 5 year old egg collecter too. Ours can only free range supervised and we have a good source for fertilised eggs so no need to have one for us.
He is okay. Thanks for asking! Just a little bite on his wrist. The cockerel doesn't have spurs yet which is why he has one more chance to learn proper behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom