How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Omgoodness. Duck egg number 1!! It's frozen solid but who cares! My family thinks I've lost my mind because I'm just overjoyed for this little thing 🤣🤣🤣View attachment 2488362
Hey, it's super exciting! Being able to find joy in small things like a duck egg is what makes life magical. 🎪

6 today!
What's your favorite way to eat eggs while getting rid of a whole bunch?
Basted, which is my typical MO.😋
Of course there is always old fashioned egg nog if you don't mind rum.
Home made eggnog is to store bought eggnog, is like raw grass fed Guernsey milk VS powder milk mixed with room temperature tap water.

Last edited:
Is it normal for ducks to have stopped laying by this time in winter? I live in the north and my girls haven't been laying for a month or two now.
Maybe the cold?
I'm in WW where I-5 intersects HWY 20 and I am getting occasional eggs. My suspect hen is 6 months old. Maybe her coming into laying age has something to do with it? Not sure because if that was the only variable, I would have three other hens laying by now too. Seems like when I do a large morning feed with all flock pellets (20% protein) is when the egg comes, but not every day. Forage has been much better than I had imagined it could be, with only a few frozen mornings where I needed to give them enough pellets for the entire day. Rainy winter days are better for foraging than dry summer days over here .

Basted, which is my typical MO.😋
Of course there is always old fashioned egg nog if you don't mind rum.
Home made eggnog is to store bought eggnog, is like raw grass fed Guernsey milk VS powder milk mixed with room temperature tap water.

🤔 I might have to make my own then, bc store bought eggnog smells like a batch of chemicals to me.

I don't have any ducks.
But I have just started getting some chicken eggs last week. I collected 4 eggs today and 5 eggs yesterday. I have 6 older girls. They are going to be 4yrs old. And I have 8 younger girls. They are almost 2 years old. I have seen a few of the younger girls and one of the older girls in the nest boxes. So far all the ones I have witnessed in the boxes are Americana or easter egger mixes. (from a barnyard hatch)

I would love to hear from other chicken owners which breeds have been laying over the winter, or which ones are the earliest to start laying.
From 5 large breed cold hardy Pullets we still get 2-3 a day, usually. Only 2 days so far with only 1 egg. I have shipped Eggs in a new 'bater now to ensure next falk and winter are eggier! No guarantee we'll get a hatch tho. Interesting, but i think buying Chicks locally if a NPIP Breeder is near would be better than laying awake worrying about eggs. 🎅

I had 13 yesterday from 18 hens, which is pretty typical. 8 so far today, but the seem to lay throught the day, which is lovely when the high temp is predicted to be just above 0. If I don't check every couple hours, I will have frozen eggs. The dogs see this as a bonus. I have buyers scheduled for 5 dozen a week, plus we like to eat them, so I prefer no frozen ones.

Back
Top Bottom