1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Many Eggs Do Silkies Lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cherndon712, Jan 31, 2008.

1. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    My double vented silkie hen has laid one every day for three days now...I thought they weren't good layers?

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Even though we have cold weather here, my girls who have starting laying are kicking out 5-6 eggs a week. So i'm very happy with that.

3. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    mine have laid off and on all winter with no heat. when warmer i get one each hen every day usually but sometimes after they lay 7-10 eggs they stop for a day straighten their cycles and back to laying. just curious is she laying the same vent each time?
    silkie

4. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I'm not sure if she is using one vent or both...And I don't think people wanna see ANOTHER pic so they can tell me!!

5. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I believe because they go broody so often they can't lay alot!

6. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    LOL I'm not giving her the chance...She has 2 vents, so I don't have a roo with her! No reason to let her go broody yet!!

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Our 3 Silky hens were laying wonderfully...until the broody bug hit them. Now, I spend more time breaking them of the broody. I love to use their eggs for baking so that is about their only saving grace...

that and they've assimilated Skip and the dog, so I don't stand a chance...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dawn

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    They are good layers while they lay, if that makes sense. Mine lay for a good seven days straight, take a week off, and start over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by