How many eggs do welsummers lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jackhowell990, Nov 30, 2011.

1. jackhowell990

jackhowell990 New Egg

Apr 24, 2011
    Hi, i was just wondering how many eggs welsummers lay a year and the overall opinion of them.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    So far this year, my 2 year old welsummer hen (my original hen - I have more now) has laid 158 eggs. She's been in molt for the past month, so she's not laying right now. She normally lays 2 days with 1 day off, then back to 2 days. (breeder quality)

They are friendly birds, but not lap chickens. My rooster is easy on the hens, and a great protector of them. I love the breed and the eggs. (the speckled ones are from my original hen)
    [​IMG]

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Mine is roughly 200-220 eggs a year, give or take. Breeder quality, no hatchery birds here.

If you got yours from a hatchery or was from a hatchery stock, production would be a bit higher.

4. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    Mine seems to be 2 days on, one day off as well. She's only been laying a month or so now but she is very consistent and has had perfect eggs from day one!

5. Tatiana110

Tatiana110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our Welsummer pullet lays 6 eggs, then takes 1 day off, since she started to lay in May. I am actually surprised that she lays that many. Gorgeous very dark chocolate eggs with speckles, still a bit smallish, but getting larger every week now.

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Like everyone stated, it depends on where you get them from. I had 8 that I got from Meyer Hatchery & could not say exactly how many they laid. I know they had nice dark eggs, but took 4 months off every year to molt & molted the first year after only 11 months of laying & the same the second year. They were probably the worst chickens I ever had in that respect. Mine were also some of the meanest chickens I ever had in 22 years. Don't know if that is the norm or Meyer had terrible Welsummers!

7. Tatiana110

Tatiana110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Very interesting!

Our Welsummers are from a local breeder who uses them to breed Caramel Queens (Cinnamon Queens) sexlinks. They are the friendliest lap chickens, and always at the bottom of the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by