How many eggs does a Coturnix hen lay a year?

PrinceSandwich

Songster
10 Years
Nov 11, 2009
Alberta, Canada
How many eggs will a Coturnix hen lay a year when she's not on lighting?
I know I've probably read the answer to this question lots of times I just can't seem to remember.
Also how many more will she lay if she IS on lighting?

X2

Extra lighting increases the laying time during short light periods, not the total number of eggs they lay.

A coturnix hen lays (roughly) an egg a day given the proper amount of light and proper care. Of course, they miss a day or 52 over the course of a year due to a number of factors. 300/year is the average. That's just their nature, and trying to fine tune lighting to make them lay more than that is just folly....IMHO

Well if they lay an egg a day, and their laying season ( without light) is from April to October that means over the course of their laying season each hen would lay 210 eggs. So in order to get 300 eggs in a year I think you would probably have to have lighting in the winter. Meaning that light does offect how many eggs a hen will lay in a year.

Quote:
You are correct there my friend.
Maybe I didn't properly explain what I meant by the term "SHORT LIGHT PERIODS". I meant that in the winter, you will have to add extra lighting, to get more than your 210 eggs/year. Sorry, I thought that was a given.

My point (Which I obviously didn't explain properly) was that once you allow for (Diet) proper lighting, throughout the year....No amount of lighting will press them to lay any more than 211-356 they would normally lay when given extra lighting.

Back
Top Bottom