How many eggs in there?

jeepgurl

Songster
7 Years
Jun 4, 2012
I have a six nest enclosed box that my chickens lay eggs in. Usually, I find eggs in five of the nests. For the last week, there is one chicken that wont move off one of the nests and the others get in there with her and lay their eggs right next to her. I typically get 12-18 eggs a day. now Im getting maybe three a day from the other nests. Theres gotta be a ton of eggs under her. Should I move her and the eggs to a secluded nest?. I have a rabbit hutch that is much larger than the nest she is in. Im afraid by the end of her hatch, there will be too many eggs in there if the others keep laying them right next to her. And, Im running out of collectable eggs! Advice please......

Mark the eggs, Mark what eggs you want her to keep and then check them each day and take out the ones that aren't marked. I had a Maran who decided to collect eggs she ended up with 38 eggs. NO she couldn't hatch all of them because some of them were bantams and with her big body she ended up breaking them. If you move her she may NOT stay, she may go right back into the original box.

Thanks for the idea. But do you have any idea why the other hens are dropping off their eggs in the same nest instead of in one of the other five boxes?

HAHAHA, good question, because MINE all do it too, like I said my Maran had 38 eggs because Everyone would kick her out, lay there eggs, and leave, leaving her to hatch out the eggs. I'm sorry, I could NOT tell you why they do this. Unless it's a domineering thing, they others want to show they are in charge to get off the nest. Honestly I really don't know, all's I know is mine does the same thing.. Some times it's because they others are getting ready to sit as well..

Back
Top Bottom