How many eggs is everybody getting?

I have one molting, getting an average of 4 a day out of 10 hens. 4 are 20 months old, others are 9 months old. Open air coop, no extra lighting. In MO and getting below 0 tonight with single digits tomorrow, hope they do okay.

Wasn’t sure which section to ask this in😆

Just curious and would love to know what everybody’s average temperature is right now where you are, how many hours of light your chickens are getting, and how many eggs you are getting from your chickens 🙂

I’m asking as I’m in the UK and still getting around 4 eggs a day from 6 hens I currently have, whilst the average temp is about -1°C (30F) in the day and -4°C (24F), with only 8 hours of light a day.
Surely they’ve got to slow down or even stop soon😧
We don’t even particular eat many eggs and have loads spare, I feel as though they need a break 😂
NE lower peninsula of MI. About 9 hours of daylight. Temps usually 20 - 30's F. Eight Barred Rock hens. Get ONE :( egg every 2 - 3 days. I love their eggs but won't supplement with light. Only one of the 8 girls still has a red comb and waddled. She's probably the egg giver. They are appx. 9 months old. I love, love them :). Looks like some are molting which concerns me in cold weather. They didn't like the first snow, but are coming out from their run more often.

Just curious and would love to know what everybody’s average temperature is right now where you are, how many hours of light your chickens are getting, and how many eggs you are getting from your chickens 🙂

I’m asking as I’m in the UK and still getting around 4 eggs a day from 6 hens I currently have, whilst the average temp is about -1°C (30F) in the day and -4°C (24F), with only 8 hours of light a day.
We don’t even particular eat many eggs and have loads spare, I feel as though they need a break 😂
I'm in the high desert of New Mexico, USA, our temps range from 50s and 60s F during the day to 20s and 30s F overnight. I have four Black Australorps, they turn 10 months old this week and were laying an egg every day, each hen, almost from the start of their egg laying. It is dusk around 5pm now, and I get them out oftheir coop at 8 am, so they get 9 hours of light, very different than the 12+ hours in the summer.

Mine are dropping feathers, so in a molt right now, too. From the four hens, I've been getting an average of 2 eggs per day, sometimes only 1, which sounds like they are doing pretty well, from the responses here. But think these eggs are from the same two hens. I don't think the heavy molters are laying. I used to give their eggs away, but now I'm feeding them back to them. I hardboil the eggs and then smash them in the shell and cut them all up into crumpbles, the egg along with the shell. Two eggs every other day. I think the extra protein and calcuim have been good for them, and they love it.

My hens free-range all day, and have a small coop with an enclosed yard around it for when it's too windy or pounding rain. Then I put them inside. They only use the coop for sleeping and laying eggs.

We have 17 hens and we’re getting anywhere from 5 to 7 eggs a day… pure laziness! Lol!

I am in Alberta the temperature is -35c right now -31f My chickens won't go outside they have a heat lamp and they lay about 5 eggs a day out of out of 9 hens. It is suppose to go up to freezing in a few days. They will think it is haven to be able to go outside except there is a lot of snow.

I have 9 layers that are 7 months and still laying strong. About 6-7 eggs daily. No supplemental lighting. Live in northeastern usa. Temps here are average around 35*F and 20*F over night. But sway on each end weekly. I cant keep up! Good thing for holiday baking. Ha. Hopefully their little bodies get a break soon!

Hi there, ….I’ve 15 laying chickens and I’m getting 8-12 Eggs daily, in PA (USA). Lowest temperature inside my coop has been about constant 40F, but I do have 2 heat lights (1 pointing hens Sand Bath area) and the other toward waterer (which also has an internal heater). I just added a standing heater (set at 40F) in area where I prepare feed/storage area. I have Timer-Lights under roof-covered small run (On at 6:30am-Off at 10am), then On at 4:30pm-off at 6:30pm). I’m ,originally, from a Tropical island where chickens lay many eggs all year around and those not affect their health. All my hens are super happy and thankful for the heater!!!🐔💕

8 eggs a day from 8 Leghorns, once or twice a week it's only 7. They're 8-months-old, been laying about 2 months (they started late for the breed).

Some other hens *just* came in to lay this week which really surprised me, I'd been resigned to wait for spring.
Most surprising was the Genetic Hackles, one hen in particular is laying every single day. Another is laying sporadically. 7 month olds and it's a slow developing breed.

From the 7-month-old Black Ameraucanas, one of the three is laying 5 days a week.

Out of four 2 year old Isabel Ameraucana, one just started laying every day, this after they took the longest break for molting since late summer.

In Florida we're currently getting 10.18 hours of daylight, it doesn't get any darker, according to the Sunrise and Sunset Calculator it won't start getting lighter till January.
So, I do not understand why the young girls started laying, but I'll take it!
I have 13 hens, two of which are leghorns and I have only been getting eggs from the leghorns the last 3-4 weeks. RR, EE, Marans, have all shut down. I am selling them all if they don’t start putting out some eggs by the time the eat through the last 100lbs of feed. Leghorns are the best laying hens I have ever had, hands down.

Back
Top Bottom