How many eggs is the most you've gotten in 1 day & how many in a week.

Jim Pryce

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
Today my 30 hens set a new daily record of 19 eggs in a day. Their previous best was 17. They also set an all-time weekly record of 100 for the week. I got them last May. Their previous weekly record was 80. I have become a chicken nerd, with all my charts & notebook.

I am getting 26-31 eggs a day for the past 3 weeks. I have 35 hens. I have not kept track of the weekly total. All I know is, my pigs say "keep em' coming!" The hens get some too; I boil a 5 gallon pot of eggs at a time. I am slowly getting a market for the largest eggs at $4.50 dozen. The eggs are valuable as pig, chicken and me feed so I am not forced to undersell them.

I have two hens and sometimes get 3 eggs per day. One hen lays two hard-shelled eggs in a row-- not every day, but often. Her orange legs have turned very white from all the stress of producing two hard-shelled eggs at a time.

In Emergencies/Diseases, etc. you will find this helpful post from KimClain:

I just HAD to go out and do some research on this... I'm finding many mentions of hens laying two eggs per day. Here is the best site I've found...refer to page 8. It IS possible to have two eggs per day.
http://www.spottedcowpress.ca/chapters/02FemaleAnatomy.pdf

Also the Bible of Chicken Raising, by Gail Damerow, latest edition, has an write-up about the phenomenon. I love this sort of stuff which is written by in-depth researchers who have more than just a cursory knowledge of chickens.

Enjoy!

Clare

Back
Top Bottom