How many eggs per day should I expect?

chick4smiles

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Adirondacks
This might be a silly question, but I've talked with a few friends that keep chickens and they get about an egg a day from each chicken. I'm not sure of the breed of their chickens, but I know they were purchased as chicks from one of those big chick-selling outfits.
I think I may have accidentally bred egg laying out of my flock! Is this even possible after 2 years? I have about 40 pullets/hens and I get about 15 eggs a day! Granted a few are about two or three years old, but the vast majority are 1 year old or were hatched this spring (> 6 months old).
Other than potential poor breeding...am I doing something wrong? Is this normal for a barnyard flock? I promise everybody is happy and healthy. I really can't comment on their breed because it's all mixed up...I think there is some RIR in there, we had a Dominique rooster this spring (so he's the dad of several pullets), and my current rooster is a Lavender Ameraucana (he's probably the father of about 15 or so pullets).
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

There are a lot of variables that can come into play. Some breeds lay 6-7 eggs a week some 2-3 . Even in the same breed some lines lay well some don't, I have 2 ee's from the same hatchery one lays 6 a week and the other 2 at the most. also 2 year old hens can start to slow down, the eggs probable will be bigger but fewer of them.
there is a chance that shorter days with a lot less lite is effecting them too. I know that I have gone from 15-16 a day to 9-10. About all you can do now is wait for spring and see if they pick back up or add lite to the coop in the am giving them about 12-13 hours of lite a day this will help most of the time.Even the extra light will take time tho so try to be patient.

Thanks! I don't let them free range unless I'm home due to predators in the area (lost one to an ermine last week)...so they only get to do that on weekends. They have outdoor run that is fortified, so they can get out in fresh air everyday.
I appreciate any advice. My father gets similar numbers of eggs with the same number of chickens, so I hoped it was just because they were mixed. I can tell by the egg that some are definitely laying more often than others.
We live off the grid, so artificial light in the coop isn't possible. I'll just have to be patient and wait for the days to be longer. I know I'm much happier when they are!
I got 18 eggs today, though! Somehow they knew I was talking bad about them.

Back
Top Bottom