how many eggs should I be getting from this flock

roo-many

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 2, 2012
I have three Buff Orpingtons, two Australorps, one red something I have never bothered to identify, o one Silkie bantam, one Brahma, one EE, one Golden Laced Wyandotte, and two Silver Laved Wyandottes. So, twelve one-year old hens in all, plus a too. I am getting 8-10 eggs per day, usually 8, sometimes 9, and 10 once in a blue moon. I feel like I should be getting more eggs this time of year. Am I wrong? The Wyandottes still have bright yellow legs, so I am suspicious of those 3.

I have three Buff Orpingtons, two Australorps, one red something I have never bothered to identify, o one Silkie bantam, one Brahma, one EE, one Golden Laced Wyandotte, and two Silver Laved Wyandottes. So, twelve one-year old hens in all, plus a too. I am getting 8-10 eggs per day, usually 8, sometimes 9, and 10 once in a blue moon. I feel like I should be getting more eggs this time of year. Am I wrong? The Wyandottes still have bright yellow legs, so I am suspicious of those 3.

8-10 eggs a day from 12 hens is pretty darn good, especially considering some of the breeds involved. What is their diet? Are they free ranged at all where you could be losing some eggs to rogue nesting? If they don't go out, is the setup secure enough that egg loss to a "visitor" is not possible? Are the birds all in good condition?

They are all in good condition. They do free range, but if we are doing good for the breeds we have, I am happy. We recently found a black snake was eating eggs, but the numbers I gave are for after that.

I had gotten up to nine before adding the two Australorps, but I know for a fact at least one of those is laying. I was probably spoiled our first year when we had a dozen White Leghorns, but this year I am trying to make the chickens pray for their own feed and stuff, so I am trying to boost production.

I also have a mixed flock, not all my hens lay everyday, my EE lay one every other day. I say this because some days I find a couple of their eggs, and other days I find more.

I say they are in good condition. A few of them are still overbred even after removing two roos and adding two hens. But I saw two of those in the nest today.

Back
Top Bottom