How many eggs should I expect?

ggrap

Songster
12 Years
Jun 5, 2007
Colorado
Hi. I adopted 40 11 month old hens this weekend, to add to my 60 existing. Some of my hens run around and hide eggs, but most stay in the yard and don't fly out. I was getting about 24 eggs per day before the new ones came. Now I am getting 36 in the last few days. The weather was 74 degrees Sat when they came and a blizzard on Sun. I would think I should be getting more eggs than this, even when I just had the 60. Most of my previous birds are about 9 months old, but I do have 25 or so 2-3 yr olds.

What should I expect?

Thanks for any advice, Gina

Alot of Poop!!! ha ha
th.gif

-Theresa

There is quite a variety. Several Leghorns (brn and wht), EE's, Orps, Cochins, Sussex, Cornish, Wyandottes, Rocks, Hamburgs....and more. Maybe it is hard to say with all the different breeds? And I thought maybe the new ones were stressed from the move.

I just don't want to be feeding 100 birds and only getting 36 eggs per day, especially when many are at prime age (at least 75%)

Thanks

Hi again. I haven't posted too much on this board. Maybe I am not in the right place? Was hoping for an answer to my question....if I need to do something else please let me know.

Thanks!

this board has peeks and valleys with when you will get answers. I think mabe you would be getting like 60 eggs a day from that many hens mabe when it starts to warm up even more.

Good Luck
Henry

when I adopted a couple of hens, the breeder warned me that it might be 2 to 3 weeks before those hens started laying again; apparently when things get disrupted, so does their laying schedule ...

she was right, it was just over two weeks before one started laying, and almost three weeks before the other one did

Candy

Thank you. Maybe I just need to give it more time, especially with the weather variations.

Back
Top Bottom