How many eggs under a broody Buff Orpington?

Yes, 12 to 14 eggs is perfect for a hen to sit on, but last year i had a hen sitting on 21 eggs and 17 of them hatched out. I guess it just varies

Thanks, she's actually kind of of small but not bantam sized, I'm hoping for at least 10 eggs and even then maybe shell go broody.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Ive got a hen sitting on eggs now, not sure how many, but we will be having chicks soon and i cant wait, it's always so exciting
1f423.png

I haven't been on in a while ...unfortunately those eggs didnt hatch but my cochin went broody she's sitting on them, and hopefully by then ill have baby chicks on the 21:)A Cochin rooster, 3 silver laced wyandotte roosters, a gold laced/splashed wyandotte rooster,a black silkie rooster, and a blue copper maran rooster were in the pen with some silver laced Wyandotte hens and a blue copper maran hen...so a bunch of wierd looking possible mixes....we are getting rid of some of the roosters and will sale some chicks in the summer, Hippie farm ,your in the same state I am ...so if you want any chicks message me:)

My Buff Orpington went broody some 2 weeks ago. She kept stealing the other hens' eggs, so I felt sorry for her and let nature take its course. She really wanted to be a mama! The catch is that I only have hens, so motherhood wouldn't happen for her
lol.png

I put her in a dog carrier with some golf balls under her to keep her going in the hopes I could find some lavender orpington eggs in such short notice. The lavender eggs didn't happen, so a friend gave me 12 fertile eggs from Cochin and Barred Rock hens sired by an Ameraucana rooster. Or so we think, as there were other roosters with those hens that had recently gone to freezer camp.
So, now my Summer is happily sitting on a dozen eggs as from 2 days ago. I can't wait to see how this story unfolds, if any of the eggs will hatch and most importantly, where I am going to put all these chicks
ep.gif

I have resisted bravely so far, so I never thought I would fall prey to chicken math. Wish me good luck!!!

I haven't been on in a while ...unfortunately those eggs didnt hatch but my cochin went broody she's sitting on them, and hopefully by then ill have baby chicks on the 21:)A Cochin rooster, 3 silver laced wyandotte roosters, a gold laced/splashed wyandotte rooster,a black silkie rooster, and a blue copper maran rooster were in the pen with some silver laced Wyandotte hens and a blue copper maran hen...so a bunch of wierd looking possible mixes....we are getting rid of some of the roosters and will sale some chicks in the summer, Hippie farm ,your in the same state I am ...so if you want any chicks message me:)
Wondering how your hatch is coming along. You must be so excited!

For some unknown reason we haven't had a good flock at all this year, only one baby hatched and he died and we may be getting rid of our chickens but i don't want that to happen

Picking up this thread, dunno if you even can do that but…. I have a broody English Buff Orpington (they are larger than the variety commonly sold in the US) and I just stuck 14 eggs under her, so fingers crossed. A few Creme Legbar, some Silverudds/Isbar and a few Easter Eggers.

Back
Top Bottom