how many eggs will a quail lay

Discussion in 'Quail' started by zebserema, Aug 8, 2011.

1. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    how many will a bobwhite quail lay in a year if they are collected daily

2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Cant help you, but whats the difference if they are collected daily or not? [​IMG]

3. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:Well Ima guess 300+ since they lay pretty much every day... Until they die... My button quail takes a day off a week. But my coturnix does one a day.

4. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    I think Bobwhite are seasonal layers...

5. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Quote:Well Ima guess 300+ since they lay pretty much every day... Until they die... My button quail takes a day off a week. But my coturnix does one a day.

most birds dont lay until the day they die. they slow eggs production down around 2 years of age. once they become 3 1/2 - 5 years they are pretty much spent(old) in most breeders eyes.

6. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    so they dont just lay in the spring?

7. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712

most birds dont lay until the day they die. they slow eggs production down around 2 years of age. once they become 3 1/2 - 5 years they are pretty much spent(old) in most breeders eyes.

I am only repeating.. Not trying to act as a experienced breeder by any means. Just was saying..

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If given only the natural light of day, Bobwhites will start to lay in mid April and stop laying in early October, depending on where you live in the country and how much light they receive per day. You can force them to lay by offering them more light, along with the natural sun light, so they receive 14+ hours per day of light. They will not lay everyday. Each bird is different, but 4 to 6 eggs a week is normal. [​IMG]

9. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Ask Randall, his Georgia Giants have been crank'n out eggs for months now, and show no signs of slowing.....

Im sure it will depend on the bird and a lot of variables, light, diet, age,temp, ect.... But I think you could expect one nice clutch of 30 to 70 or more in the spring, and possibly another smaller clutch in the fall. With added heat and light, who knows.... Bill

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:Ask Randall, his Georgia Giants have been crank'n out eggs for months now, and show no signs of slowing.....

Im sure it will depend on the bird and a lot of variables, light, diet, age,temp, ect.... But I think you could expect one nice clutch of 30 to 70 or more in the spring, and possibly another smaller clutch in the fall. With added heat and light, who knows.... Bill

CORRECT. IF LEFT TO THEIR OWN DEVICES BOBS ARE SEASONAL LAYERS... 1 CLUTCH LATE SPRING, A SMALLER CLUTCH EARLY FALL. SOMEWHERE IN THE VACINITY OF 60-75 EGGS/YR/ HEN. SOME STRAINS CAN BE STIMULATED TO LAY YEAR ROUND WITH CONTROLLED CLIMATE AND PROPER LIGHT, BUT NORMALLY IN MOST CASES THESE "OUT OF SEASON" EGGS HAVE A VERY LACKING FERTILITY RATE AND IT BURNS OUT THE BIRDS IN RAPID ORDER

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by