How many eggs will I get?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by polk county, Nov 1, 2009.

1. polk county

polk county Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    I have 18 Rhode Island Reds. I give them a constant supply of crumbles. I also give them a handfull of scratch feed one a day. Once a week I let them eat all the calf manna they want. In the future they will also have all the rape leaves they want. How many eggs can I expect?

I think I made a mistake buying 18 chicks.

thanks

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd say you could expect a dozen a day... Big Brown eggs!

3. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    I've got 2 Black Austra., 3 silver laced wyandottes, 3 buff orps, and 3 barred rocks. they are on their 19th week and we haven't gotten any eggs yet but we're coming home every day expectantly! How many eggs do you think they will lay in their peak? I'm new to the back yard chicken so I don't really know what to expect!

4. henningheather

henningheather Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2008
    Idaho
    Quote:I have all of these breeds too plus Speckled Sussex and mine just started laying on Monday at 21 weeks exactly. I got one Monday, 2 on Tues, 1 on Wed and Thur, 3 on Frid, 2 on Sat and now 2 today, Sunday. I am pretty sure the Barred Rocks are laying and possibly a Black Australorp. I haven't seen them actually lay but that's my best guess. I don't know when they start to consistently lay but so far so good. I have been leaving them in the coop and run until 12:00 to make sure I don't find a pile of eggs out in the yard

5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    It took my girls until they were 24weeks old to even thinking of laying...I have 7 brown egg layers and they lay an average of 6 day.. My blue/green egg layers are 35 weeks old and NOT one egg...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by