How many eggs would you expect?

clarkai

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Somewhere around Lacey
Hi!

I was wondering how many eggs a day I could expect from a flock consisting of a barred rock, a rhode island red, a silver campine, and a golden hamburg? I'm just feeding 2 people off of these, so it really doesn't need to be too much- I'm just wondering.

I don't know about the last two, but I can speak for the BR and RIR as I've got 1 of each. They're good layers - the RIR is a fantastic layer!

We've got a flock of 3 standards and 1 bantam who isn't laying. With 2 layers we can keep up with the egg production. With 3 layers, we can't.

We plan to add 4 more laying hens to the flock this summer.
lau.gif

depends on YOU.. how many do you eat a week????
you should be fine with 4-6 hens..
with those 4 hens my guess is you will get aprox. 12- 20 eggs a week during the spring/summer

i have 80 chickens.. and HATE to eat eggs.. i cook with them but i really dont like to eat them,, just the thought of a sunny-side-up egg on my plate makes me ill.....

smile.png
:)Well... that just depends on the bird.
wink.png
If they're roosters... well, uh... no eggs.
lol.png
If they are the opposite sex, then it will depend on the weather and age. But it would not be unheard of for the girls to late three eggs every five days in the Spring and Summer, a little less in the fall and half that in the winter.

According to all I've read, you can typically expect to average 2 eggs from every 3 layers among dual purpose breeds. I'm not sure if the Campines are in that category, but I wouldn't be surprised if the other two made up for any difference.

I've never had an actual "production" layer. Even the RIR I had years ago was a rooster
roll.png
. BTW - I understand that Hamburgs can be good laying birds. I've had one Hamburg . . . another rooster
roll.png

My laying hens have always been dual-purpose types and I've tried to do right by them. Unless they were molting, the eggs kept coming ('cept for that time I really messed up one winter
hmm.png
).

For my little household, it has always worked out to have one hen for every person plus one extra. Ours is an "empty nest" now and with just 2 people, the 4 laying hens really, really push us to keep up with their production. We have some eggs to give away
smile.png
. Each hen lays on about 75% of the days.

Steve

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
!

We have two chickens, and they lay enough to feed the three of us! Our Red Stars lay one a day. I think RIRs are just as good and Barred Rocks maybe a bit less. I'm not really sure about the other two though.

Most chickens average 2 eggs every 3 days and a lot of times you'll get an egg a day

Back
Top Bottom