How many "extras" do you usually include with your shipped eggs

As a buyer, I don't expect extras unless specified that the seller sends extra.

If you DO send extras, please don't even bother with eggs that have little chance of hatching -- eggs from birds you know are marginally fertile, extra large or extra small eggs, or oddly shaped eggs. Only send extras if they are of normal quality. Otherwise, don't waste the postage money.

If you send extras that are strange or lower quality, then the buyer has to determine whether or not to attempt to incubate those. If they go in the incubator and have little chance of developing they DO have a good chance of exploding, and potentially ruining a hatch.

I consider extra eggs as insurance against breakage, not as freebie chicks.

The first eggs i ever ordered were for 6 blue bantam cochins plus extras. I was surprised that the extras were not more cochin eggs, but other breeds that they also sold. I now have a very cute silkie chick thats about 6 weeks old, but I don't have silkies and don't know that I really want to have another breed in with my cochins. They were all really good quality eggs and now chicks, but I was surprised that the extras weren't extra eggs from what I ordered.

Quote:
thats me too-I've been known to send almost double or close to it-but I have from time to time only sent an extra 2-3 because the girls aren't laying well.

I always asked buyers how many they could handle.No point of throwing out fertile egg's if your bator is full or you just not looking to hatch anymore.I was alway's generous with extra's sometimes double at buyer's request of course.

I also normall send 2-3 extras. I have had people send me tons of extras to 1 extra and any extras are a bonus and I am happy with what ever I get.
big_smile.png

Quote:
That is really strange. Did the eggs look similar? I know that some breeds lay eggs that cannot be easily differentiated (i.e. not marans! haha), so the seller may have simply mixed one up one accident. If you aren't too crazy about keeping it, at least a Silkie is in high demand!
wink.png

the eggs were all marked with the name of the breed and color, so they knew what they sent and I knew what i was hatching. i would have been very surprized if I didn't know that it was a silkie and not a cochin. I'm not really upset. I got the eggs I ordered. (But only 2 of those hatched and they both are black and I really wanted blue) I just wished that the extras had been more of her beautiful cochins. The silkie is splash and is such a cute chick! They show their silkies and have done well. The price of their silkies are much more than I would have paid, but...
If it turns out to be a girl, we will probably keep her, if it's a roo, well... I hope I can find a good home for it.

I wouldn't want eggs that were vastly different from what I ordered, even if they were free. Why? Because once I hatched them and raised them, I wouldn't want to part with them. And, I don't have space (or desire or ability at this time) to house a different type of bird from what I pick out.

Now, that said, if the eggs were labeled clearly, at least I could choose whether or not to put it in the incubator. However, that would mean those eggs would go to waste.

Now, I recently ordered an assorted batch of eggs. I'm fine with getting pretty much anything similar. These are coturnix eggs, so anything coturnix that gets mixed in is fine. However, if bobwhite eggs were mixed in (they won't be) then I'd be in a tight spot. Hopefully, I'd recognize them for what they were so I'd leave them out of the incubator. I can't have bobwhites without a permit, don't have space for them, and they are noisy. They wouldn't fit into my situation. The same kind of thing could happen with chickens -- sending a different kind of eggs could mean someone had to build extra housing, for example, if they only keep a purebred flock.

Back
Top Bottom