How many have "older chickens" that still lay?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by wendy, Nov 15, 2008.

1. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    I have read that chickens laying life span is 3 years or there abouts. How many have chickens older than that to break this statement?

edited to say: (what kind of chicken, how often do they lay (if you know) and how old.

Thanks,

Wendy

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    My oldest "Girlie" was eight years old and kept laying to within one week of her death......she was a Black Rock. I have little Bantams which are six years old and still lay every other day.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have some soon to be 7 years old light brahmas that are molting right now and not laying but they were laying 2 or 3 times a week before the molt. I'm hoping they start up again this winter....

5. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    I have a 3 year old Warren. She is just finishing her moult. She last laid about 2.5 months ago. She did a squat today and is getting noisy, but as she did not lay last winter she might wait until spring. She has got rather fat during her moult.

Edited

My hen laid a large egg today..Nov 21st. Her first since 4th Sept. So her moult and time off took almost 11 weeks. I am very happy with her.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  6. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:Oh, sorry I never saw it some how [​IMG]

Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by