How many hens can I fit in my coop?

Pics
Where I live, we can have 2 mos of drought with 95 -105 degree days, or a month of rain & flooding, or in winter 3 mos with nights in the teens or 20s. The past month I've had a "shallow pond" where grass should be, freezing over each night. Today we got more rain, ducks & geese were swimming where I normally cut grass & grow wildflowers. The chickens pens are not under water, but they are mushy. My chooks may run out, peck a bit at greens, but then go back inside. Consistently wet, muddy feet can result in Bumblefoot. Their coops are nice & dry, big enough to meander around, there's room to eat, drink, peck at the flock block, play the xylophone or hanging cabbage. The perches are plenty wide enough & nest egg boxes are cushy. There's no bullying or attitude going on, there's enough room & there's harmony. When weather is nicer, they do have plenty of outdoor time, most springs & autumn's & about half of summers are nice if there are no hurricanes, lots of grazing greens & eating bugs. I realize many on this site live around the world with various weather conditions, so my way of doing things may not be best in your region. I just try my best to care for my flock & have to take into consideration the weather & climate here.

This is a photo of what is usually dry. Today wild ducks & geese were having a blast.

Attachments

• 20201219_101740.jpg
    20201219_101740.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201217_164706.jpg
    20201217_164706.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 5
@Chickenman MAN
The size of the coop can be a real issue if you live in a climate with harsh winters. If you’re climate is mild/quite warm I agree that you’re chickens don’t need much space in the coop if they can go out to a run / free range from dawn till dusk. But a shed convert probably is a great improvement!
I agree! We are lucky enough to be quite mild, the main reason for a shed is to leave them there when it is chucking it down with rain!

play the xylophone
I've become semi-obsessed - can I get more info about the xylophone?

I've put fun things in my run to make an interesting environment for my chickens, like different-width perches at different heights, logs, stumps and branches (some semi-rotten with bugs in them) dispersed around, rock-piles to jump on or hide behind, a dog-house repurposed as a dust-bath spa, a bike-tire swing, but really, a xylophone?!

Must Know More!!

Is it one of those kids' toy xylophones with different-colored metal keys? I'm assuming it's not a professional musician's type...How do you attach it, do you hang it like a swing or have it on a stationary place on the ground or against a wall? Do the chickens show any special interest in playing it, more than their interest in logs or swings?

Most of all, how do the chickens play it? I assume they start out pecking at the different colors, but does the music become more melodious, or more patterned, as they spend more time playing with it? Do they seem to become engaged with it, like, do they work at controlling the sounds they make?

What does it sound like? I'm imagining something that sounds like a meld between wind-chimes and song-birds.

If anyone has video or audio of chickens playing a xylophone, I would love to see/hear it!
As well as helpful hints about what kind to buy for my chickens, that can remain playable in outdoor weather, plus where/how to attach it so they're encouraged to play it. This is super fascinating to me.

I've put fun things in my run to make an interesting environment for my chickens, like different-width perches at different heights, logs, stumps and branches (some semi-rotten with bugs in them) dispersed around, rock-piles to jump on or hide behind, a dog-house repurposed as a dust-bath spa, a bike-tire swing, but really, a xylophone?!

Must Know More!!

Is it one of those kids' toy xylophones with different-colored metal keys? I'm assuming it's not a professional musician's type...How do you attach it, do you hang it like a swing or have it on a stationary place on the ground or against a wall? Do the chickens show any special interest in playing it, more than their interest in logs or swings?

Most of all, how do the chickens play it? I assume they start out pecking at the different colors, but does the music become more melodious, or more patterned, as they spend more time playing with it? Do they seem to become engaged with it, like, do they work at controlling the sounds they make?

What does it sound like? I'm imagining something that sounds like a meld between wind-chimes and song-birds.

If anyone has video or audio of chickens playing a xylophone, I would love to see/hear it!
As well as helpful hints about what kind to buy for my chickens, that can remain playable in outdoor weather, plus where/how to attach it so they're encouraged to play it. This is super fascinating to me.
Lol..I've seen videos, and yes it is just a cheapo kids one! The chooks probably prefer the colours too. I'd attack it to a post in the ground, stationary, it sounds like a really weak mallet striking a xylophone if you've ever heard one before!

I've thought about getting a xylophone for my birds. I got them some jingle bells in Christmas colors, red, green, and silver, and they absolutely shun them. Shiny, moving in the breeze, jingly. Nope, too scary. Silly birds. Don't know if I'll get them the xylophone now.

All right, this is off topic, and I'll stop.

Must Know More!!

This isn't my video but my xylophones are attached to wall like this. I've already got feeders & cabbage hanging in coops. Chickens are attracted to the colors, then the sounds draw curiosity of the others. It's really cute to see. Some enjoy it more than others. I’ve put some chickweed on the xylophone to encourage the shy ones.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom