How many hens can I fit in my coop?

hensforhan

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2020
United Kingdom
Hello all. We have spent ages constructing a coop and run for our chickens and before purchasing any I would like to know how many chickens I could keep in my coop? They would only be in there over night as they'd be in their run all day every day. I have attached a photo. The main area (not including nest boxes) is 86cm x 83cm and the nest boxes both go out 34 cm and have 3 slots in each (I've heard you don't need very many nest boxes so I will probably take the divides out of one side and use it to put their food/water). I would probably like to get 1 or 2 silkies and the rest would be a mix of hybrids (most likely). There is so much conflicting information out there so I would appreciate any help! Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 10.27.30.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 10.27.30.png
    812.5 KB · Views: 71

Liz Birdlover

Crowing
Jan 6, 2018
Delaware, USA
You said your coop was like 86cm x 83cm... That’s like a 2.9ft x 2.8ft... Very small. Honestly I wouldn’t put anything in it unless there was a very large run. Do you have a run?
I noticed all of these so called coops, even the ones Tractor Supply sells, are really only appropriate to be used as a rabbit hutch for 1 or 2 rabbits! I had rabbits at 1 point so I know what I am talking about. Something that is only 2'X3' is not enough space for 2 chickens. A coop is not only just for sleeping, when the weather is bad they're going to stay in there more, and if you get bad weather for several days in a row they are going to be bored and poop is going to accumulate, which is not healthy. I don't understand why places continue to advertise products and how many they can accommodate incorrectly! The same goes for bird cages, they will sell a cage saying it's appropriate for a Cockatiel when it's not even big enough for a Canary! It's just not right.

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
Premium Feather Member
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I noticed all of these so called coops, even the ones Tractor Supply sells, are really only appropriate to be used as a rabbit hutch for 1 or 2 rabbits! I had rabbits at 1 point so I know what I am talking about. Something that is only 2'X3' is not enough space for 2 chickens. A coop is not only just for sleeping, when the weather is bad they're going to stay in there more, and if you get bad weather for several days in a row they are going to be bored and poop is going to accumulate, which is not healthy. I don't understand why places continue to advertise products and how many they can accommodate incorrectly! The same goes for bird cages, they will sell a cage saying it's appropriate for a Cockatiel when it's not even big enough for a Canary! It's just not right.
The worst part is, TSC tells you that they're suitable for 5 or 6 birds....ridiculous. From my understanding, it's not great to keep rabbits in hutches either, but I haven't owned a rabbit, just done loads of research because I'd like to get one.

Liz Birdlover

Crowing
Jan 6, 2018
Delaware, USA
Hello all. We have spent ages constructing a coop and run for our chickens and before purchasing any I would like to know how many chickens I could keep in my coop? They would only be in there over night as they'd be in their run all day every day. I have attached a photo. The main area (not including nest boxes) is 86cm x 83cm and the nest boxes both go out 34 cm and have 3 slots in each (I've heard you don't need very many nest boxes so I will probably take the divides out of one side and use it to put their food/water). I would probably like to get 1 or 2 silkies and the rest would be a mix of hybrids (most likely). There is so much conflicting information out there so I would appreciate any help! Thank you in advance :)
Adorable pic but needs major upsizing! For example, I have several sections for Roos & their hens, & my smallest section there's 1 Roo & his 3 hens, (I know he should have more hens but they are older & he's a very gentle boy with his girls who do not want any others to join them right now). Anyway, that's 4 older Wyandottes in a 4x8 section with their private 6x10 run with a shade gazebo. They're older & calmer, they take dust baths in 1 spot & don't turf up alot. Inside coop they have a hanging cabbage, hanging feed, a flock block & xylophone to peck at. You gotta have room for that stuff, as well as perches & nesting egg boxes. Plus I need room to walk in there with a bucket & scooper to clean under night perches. No way to cram all that into a 2x3. I like a coop & pen I can walk into easily, but that's just me...I hang out with them a lot. 😊

Attachments

• 20200927_175435.jpg
    20200927_175435.jpg
    1,023.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 1601489413719_image.png
    1601489413719_image.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
  • 20200830_193548.jpg
    20200830_193548.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
Premium Feather Member
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
Companies always have nd always will...embellish the truth to get your money. People should research BEFORE they buy, especially when animals are involved. Never believe everything/anything? you read in an advertisement!
Here, I'll rewrite a prefab coop description to make it accurate...

(an actual prefab coop description)
Precision Pet® chicken coops are an easy and convenient alternative to building a chicken coop from scratch. The Hen House II Chicken Coop fits 5 1 chickens, includes 2 internal roosting bars that are too low to roost on, and 2 nesting boxes. This chicken coop also features multiple access doors for egg collecting, an easy clean slide-out tray, and an asphalt roof for extra protection, not enough ventilation, and terrible latches. The Hen House II Chicken Coop provides your chickens with a safe, durable, and easy-to-clean shelter with premium features.

Top Bottom