How many hens can I fit in my coop?

Pics

hensforhan

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2020
United Kingdom
Hello all. We have spent ages constructing a coop and run for our chickens and before purchasing any I would like to know how many chickens I could keep in my coop? They would only be in there over night as they'd be in their run all day every day. I have attached a photo. The main area (not including nest boxes) is 86cm x 83cm and the nest boxes both go out 34 cm and have 3 slots in each (I've heard you don't need very many nest boxes so I will probably take the divides out of one side and use it to put their food/water). I would probably like to get 1 or 2 silkies and the rest would be a mix of hybrids (most likely). There is so much conflicting information out there so I would appreciate any help! Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 10.27.30.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 10.27.30.png
    812.5 KB · Views: 127
You said your coop was like 86cm x 83cm... That’s like a 2.9ft x 2.8ft... Very small. Honestly I wouldn’t put anything in it unless there was a very large run. Do you have a run?
I noticed all of these so called coops, even the ones Tractor Supply sells, are really only appropriate to be used as a rabbit hutch for 1 or 2 rabbits! I had rabbits at 1 point so I know what I am talking about. Something that is only 2'X3' is not enough space for 2 chickens. A coop is not only just for sleeping, when the weather is bad they're going to stay in there more, and if you get bad weather for several days in a row they are going to be bored and poop is going to accumulate, which is not healthy. I don't understand why places continue to advertise products and how many they can accommodate incorrectly! The same goes for bird cages, they will sell a cage saying it's appropriate for a Cockatiel when it's not even big enough for a Canary! It's just not right.

I noticed all of these so called coops, even the ones Tractor Supply sells, are really only appropriate to be used as a rabbit hutch for 1 or 2 rabbits! I had rabbits at 1 point so I know what I am talking about. Something that is only 2'X3' is not enough space for 2 chickens. A coop is not only just for sleeping, when the weather is bad they're going to stay in there more, and if you get bad weather for several days in a row they are going to be bored and poop is going to accumulate, which is not healthy. I don't understand why places continue to advertise products and how many they can accommodate incorrectly! The same goes for bird cages, they will sell a cage saying it's appropriate for a Cockatiel when it's not even big enough for a Canary! It's just not right.
The worst part is, TSC tells you that they're suitable for 5 or 6 birds....ridiculous. From my understanding, it's not great to keep rabbits in hutches either, but I haven't owned a rabbit, just done loads of research because I'd like to get one.

Hello all. We have spent ages constructing a coop and run for our chickens and before purchasing any I would like to know how many chickens I could keep in my coop? They would only be in there over night as they'd be in their run all day every day. I have attached a photo. The main area (not including nest boxes) is 86cm x 83cm and the nest boxes both go out 34 cm and have 3 slots in each (I've heard you don't need very many nest boxes so I will probably take the divides out of one side and use it to put their food/water). I would probably like to get 1 or 2 silkies and the rest would be a mix of hybrids (most likely). There is so much conflicting information out there so I would appreciate any help! Thank you in advance :)
Adorable pic but needs major upsizing! For example, I have several sections for Roos & their hens, & my smallest section there's 1 Roo & his 3 hens, (I know he should have more hens but they are older & he's a very gentle boy with his girls who do not want any others to join them right now). Anyway, that's 4 older Wyandottes in a 4x8 section with their private 6x10 run with a shade gazebo. They're older & calmer, they take dust baths in 1 spot & don't turf up alot. Inside coop they have a hanging cabbage, hanging feed, a flock block & xylophone to peck at. You gotta have room for that stuff, as well as perches & nesting egg boxes. Plus I need room to walk in there with a bucket & scooper to clean under night perches. No way to cram all that into a 2x3. I like a coop & pen I can walk into easily, but that's just me...I hang out with them a lot. 😊

Attachments

• 20200927_175435.jpg
    20200927_175435.jpg
    1,023.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 1601489413719_image.png
    1601489413719_image.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
  • 20200830_193548.jpg
    20200830_193548.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Companies always have nd always will...embellish the truth to get your money. People should research BEFORE they buy, especially when animals are involved. Never believe everything/anything? you read in an advertisement!
Here, I'll rewrite a prefab coop description to make it accurate...

(an actual prefab coop description)
Precision Pet® chicken coops are an easy and convenient alternative to building a chicken coop from scratch. The Hen House II Chicken Coop fits 5 1 chickens, includes 2 internal roosting bars that are too low to roost on, and 2 nesting boxes. This chicken coop also features multiple access doors for egg collecting, an easy clean slide-out tray, and an asphalt roof for extra protection, not enough ventilation, and terrible latches. The Hen House II Chicken Coop provides your chickens with a safe, durable, and easy-to-clean shelter with premium features.

Back
Top Bottom