How Many Hens Can I Have In My Tractor

John01

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 27, 2008
Here is a pic of the Tractor I am building, The dimensions of the living quarters are 4 feet long x 3 feet wide x 30 inches tall (Obviously the width gets narrower at the top because of the triangle shape.

I'm gonna have 2 or 3 nest box areas

A roosting bar or 2 or 3

There will be 8' of open space outside the living area and I do intend to let them out to free range a bit.

My question is how many hens can I effectively have in here, I ordered 8 chicks from MPC for Feb delivery and am thinking that may be too many once they grow to size...

DSCN1964.jpg

DSCN1965.jpg

One nest box is all that is needed for your a-frame that will as Cristina put it "4 tops!"....You could always duplicate the coop part on the other end to accomodate all chickens, but maybe they'll need a bit more outdoor space as well?

is the entire tractor 8' long, or is it 12'?

if 8', then I would say things will start to get real crowded past 4 birds - think about how/where the roost space will be constructed too (you'll need something like 10" of width per bird)

if it's 12' long, total, I would say up to 5 hens or maybe even 6, before it starts to get awfully crowded -- EXCEPT that I am not at all sure that indoors space (roosts etc) may not become a limiting factor at a lower number.

The problem with A-frame 'house on top' designs is that they really limit the amount of house space available, esp. sine the sides slant.

Sorry,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom