1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many hens for one rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BookWorm243, Dec 4, 2010.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I got a rooster today to help protect my girls because I am down to 3. My question is how many more hens should I get. Could I get away with 3 more? I have 8 pullets that are 3 months old and the 3 hens. I am wanting to hatch some out in the spring so I don't want to get to many more over the winter. I would love to hear your honest opinion.

Thanks

2. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    You can actually have as many as 25 hens to one rooster------even more!

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I run one rooster to each five hens but I think most run about 1 to 10.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yeah some good roosters can have a bunch, as a hen can have fertile eggs for up to 3 wks on one mounting. so yeah get a bunch more and they will all be fine. although he will have his favorites hehehehe.

AL

5. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I have 42 hens and two VERY happy Roos. And yes they do have their favorites.

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    1 - 10 is general rule... However, I have one rooster per hen in mating pairs with no problems? I say depends on the individual (well there is the trio I have together.. But still same principle).

-Daniel

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  7. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks I am going to look around. No one has hens around here or roosters I drove 1h:30m for him. I will have to post pics [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  8. dominiquePL

dominiquePL Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Poland
    The no of hens for 1 rooster depends on how active the bird is [​IMG] Some breeds need more hens (like 15), for others 3 is enough [​IMG]

9. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If you are breeding and want a good fertilily rate, your ratio should be 5 hens to 1 roo. If you want a good mix for your yard, go to 15 hens to 1 roo. Even at this rate, you will have plenty of fertile eggs to hatch.

10. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I am going to try and start off with 3 more hens for now because in the spring I am going to have 15. Which should be enough?

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by