How many hens for one rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BookWorm243, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Nice rooster and he can stand on his head too! [​IMG]

I have 1 roo and 19 hens. They are mostly in an enclosed run so I'm afraid that adding a second roo would create too much friction. If I free ranged them all the time I'd definitely get another. My roo doesn't seem to work too hard looking after the ladies. I had them free ranging and dug up some earthworms. DH dropped them in front of the roo. I thought he'd call the ladies over. NOPE, he wolfed those puppies down in 2 seconds!! On the plus side, he doesn't attack us people and is gentle with the ladies.

2. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    We have Silkies. 14 Hens and one Rooster.

3. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks For The Help Every One [​IMG]

4. VA Lady

VA Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    I have 3 hens and one rooster and everyone gets along fine. They've been together since they were tiny though so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Or maybe I just got lucky with my guy!

5. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    my flock is just coming of age, I have 8 pullets and a cockerel.

He could use a few more, hehe
    Its probably just his hormones kicking in, but I think I saw him try to mount a cinderblock the other day. [​IMG]
    hopefully he will settle down soon, but for now, he is wearing out my 8 pullets

6. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Yikes! [​IMG] A cinderblock?

I have had the hens and roo together for two days now and things have settled down. The hens have been beating him up, he has been chasing them around but the hens then turn around and chase him! I had to separate them yesterday because the hen's had pecked his comb so much it was bleeding it amazed me that he would not stand up for him self since he is twice the size as my one hen. [​IMG]

7. VA Lady

VA Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    My rooster is a big pushover for his favorite hen. He'll be trying to eat and she'll come over and steal his food and he's fine with it. I've even seen him go out of his way to feed her. The others he won't put up with much from though! lol

8. troy4

troy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    [​IMG]well my rooster has like 24 hens so i think 1-10h is enough[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  9. newandjustafew

newandjustafew Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    Currently we have one rooster & one hen, and last two days it seems she REALLY doesn't wanna....mmhmm tho she does give in eventually. Is he "over working" his girl? We plan on having more (they free range ALL day) but because having chickens here is new we started out small until we r sure it would work out.

10. troy4

troy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    Possibly.she could be stressed.My hens DO NOT give.This is the last.They went all spring with 2 roosters.1 was young hormones ragging ready to mate he got what he wanted,but stopped living so yeah.Joe has only got 1 hen right now.The others WONT let him mate.Hes upset.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by