How many hens should we have for 2 Roo ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1TurkenLover, Sep 22, 2013.

1. 1TurkenLover

1TurkenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    we want to keep 2 of our Cockerels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At best guess we have 7 Pullets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 Barred Rock pullets : No Pic yet

2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Ideally about 8 hens to 1 roo. The problem with too many roosters are the fights and over-mating of hens. An alpha roo will emerge when you have more than one and they will squabble to test or reinforce the pecking order. A few of our hens have a lot of missing feathers on the back. These are the roos favorite hens. Hope this helps

3. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I would go with at least 12 to 15 hens per roo. I had 9 hens to 1 roo and had a lot of bare backed hens from an over zealous roo. His name: Cassanova

4. 1TurkenLover

1TurkenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    Yes this helps give perspective . . . First Thoughts are : CHICKEN SADDLE : used on back and some cover tail feathers to keep Roster damage down.
    So our Cockerels will get along better with more hens when kept with Pullets ? can we keep the Cockerels separate from the hens but in a pin together ? IF they are by themselves will they still Fight each other ?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  5. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 7- 5 month old cockerels in a pen together with no fighting just the occasional chest bump.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by