How many hens to one rooster

I have 2 roosters and 8 pullets... The roosters were supposed to be pullets, but I'm okay with them since they're amazing. One rooster doesn't mate, he's the 2nd in command rooster and his brother keeps him in line. He is just there to keep watch with his brother and protect his brothers girls. I haven't noticed any over breeding with my flock or fighting between the roosters.

Rather curious how old are your birds? Fort Cluck. And how much space do you have? I have had two roosters work, father/son, but not two brothers. Good luck to you.
I have 3,000 SQ FT. They're still young, I guess I should've said Cockerels because they are 5 months. I'm adding more pullets soon, I just ordered an incubator to hatch eggs. I think if I removed one of the roosters, the other would grieve because they're so close. I'm making the free range run about 8,000 sq ft very soon.

I wondered. That is considerable space for a few birds. Tight space makes this much harder.

Even with your space, it might work forever, or it might work for a while. Roosters are tricky.

Mrs K
If they have enough girls which they will eventually, I think they'll be okay. They're both jersey giants so pretty mellow, they are just insanely huge. One actually kicked me the other day it was my fault for touching his brother, I almost fell to the ground. They have a lot of power in them, I made peace with him after we established that I'm the flock leader. He got scraps after and was back to being my buddy.

Back
Top Bottom